quick question about bio brick weight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbk2000

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2007
Coastal Maine
I hired a couple of guys to pick up 1 pallet of bio bricks. They're trying to tell me it weighs 2400 lbs. -- too heavy for the truck. I know it's a 1 TON pallet but I want to double check before I have to argue with them. It is a prepackaged pallet of bricks. Has anyone heard of them weighing this much?

Unfortunately the "BioBricks" website does not list any weights. However, the following link is helpful and probably accurate enough to straighten the delivery guys out, although the numbers may be off a little bit.

Online Retailer’s (“Dirt Works”) price list, for BioBricks, with notations on weight
http://www.dirtworks.net/Buy-Good-Firewood.html
1 Bundle / 20 Bio-Bricks = 39 lbs (* this number may be wrong)
1 pallet / 50 Bundles; 50 @ 39 = 1950 (50 Lbs under 1 “short” ton / 2000 Lbs)

*Note, I have actually seen a 20 Brick bundle of BioBricks, my memory is that they actually weigh 38 LBs, in which case a 50 bundle pallet would weigh 1900 Lbs, which would be 100 Lbs under an official “short” ton. That would seem to allow 100 Lbs for the weight of the pallet and any packaging materials (essentially this is just the shrink wrap on the individual bundles and the whole pallet itself).

Also note, a “long” ton is 2240. This is a traditional unit of measurement in shipping. Unless the average pallet weighs 240 Lbs, that wouldn’t seem to have any relevance here.

The real question is how much would the bricks themselves (1900 – 1950 Lbs) plus the pallet weigh. As long as the total is under the truck's capacity you should be ok.

Based on the above I have no idea where they are getting 2400 Lbs, unless they misspoke or you misheard them and the number was actually 2240 Lbs. In any case, for the reasons outlined above, that number doesn't apply.
~Cath

Cath said:
Unfortunately the "BioBricks" website does not list any weights. However, the following link is helpful and probably accurate enough to straighten the delivery guys out, although the numbers may be off a little bit.

Online Retailer’s (“Dirt Works”) price list, for BioBricks, with notations on weight
http://www.dirtworks.net/Buy-Good-Firewood.html
1 Bundle / 20 Bio-Bricks = 39 lbs (* this number may be wrong)
1 pallet / 50 Bundles; 50 @ 39 = 1950 (50 Lbs under 1 “short” ton / 2000 Lbs)

*Note, I have actually seen a 20 Brick bundle of BioBricks, my memory is that they actually weigh 38 LBs, in which case a 50 bundle pallet would weigh 1900 Lbs, which would be 100 Lbs under an official “short” ton. That would seem to allow 100 Lbs for the weight of the pallet and any packaging materials (essentially this is just the shrink wrap on the individual bundles and the whole pallet itself).

Also note, a “long” ton is 2240. This is a traditional unit of measurement in shipping. Unless the average pallet weighs 240 Lbs, that wouldn’t seem to have any relevance here.

The real question is how much would the bricks themselves (1900 – 1950 Lbs) plus the pallet weigh. As long as the total is under the truck's capacity you should be ok.

Based on the above I have no idea where they are getting 2400 Lbs, unless they misspoke or you misheard them and the number was actually 2240 Lbs. In any case, for the reasons outlined above, that number doesn't apply.
~Cath

Yes, that helps. I had that number--1900 lbs-- in my brain but couldn't remember where I saw it. In any case, they dropped their argument when I started questioning about their vehicles' GVW and payload (which was adequate) and informed them of the weight of each PREpackaged bundle. I think they just thought they could bs me for more money. Thanks for the info. Its easier to stick to my guns when I have the numbers in black and white.

You're welcome. You may have seen that 1900 Lb figure in one of my posts on BioBricks.
~Cath

Status
Not open for further replies.