Quick Question on Fire bricks...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hobbyfromhome

Jan 1, 2020
Maine
I've got a Newmac Multi-fuel furnace... It burns wood, oil, and coal. Model CL86G-96G. I just called the Stove company and apparently, they've gone out of business after U.S. stove company bought them out. I need to replace the fire brick in my wood/coal chamber. It actually looks very simple to do by just removing the bracket and then placing the firebrick inside and then affixing the bracket back on top of the brick.

So the question I have is some of the YouTube videos that I watch for different stoves or furnaces just show people placing the brick inside without using any type of stove cement. Should I use something in between the fire bricks? Does anybody have any suggestions?

When I called the U.S. stove company they said that the fire bricks used were made with pumice and rated at 2000 degrees Fahrenheit.
They're 2 1/2 X 4 1/2 x9 inches needing at least 20 full bricks and 6 split bricks dimensions at 1 1/4 x 4 1/2x 9 inches.

Does anyone have any fire brick suggestions that I could get it from like Tractor Supply, Rutland, etc.... along with whether or not I really need an adhesive to put in between them?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me some advice on this.

David B.

Likely you will have to source on line- from a place that builds and repairs Kilns. Type in refractory brick suppiers for search. In my area there is Firebrick Engineers, been working with them for 30 years.

I've got a Newmac Multi-fuel furnace... It burns wood, oil, and coal. Model CL86G-96G. I just called the Stove company and apparently, they've gone out of business after U.S. stove company bought them out. I need to replace the fire brick in my wood/coal chamber. It actually looks very simple to do by just removing the bracket and then placing the firebrick inside and then affixing the bracket back on top of the brick.

So the question I have is some of the YouTube videos that I watch for different stoves or furnaces just show people placing the brick inside without using any type of stove cement. Should I use something in between the fire bricks? Does anybody have any suggestions?

When I called the U.S. stove company they said that the fire bricks used were made with pumice and rated at 2000 degrees Fahrenheit.
They're 2 1/2 X 4 1/2 x9 inches needing at least 20 full bricks and 6 split bricks dimensions at 1 1/4 x 4 1/2x 9 inches.

Does anyone have any fire brick suggestions that I could get it from like Tractor Supply, Rutland, etc.... along with whether or not I really need an adhesive to put in between them?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me some advice on this.

David B.
Any good brick or masonry supply yard should carry them they are standard materials

Ty, Bholler, but would I need to use an adhesive like stove cement in between the bricks when I place them inside the furnace chamber? The bricks will all be together inside the bracket as that seems to or appears to keep them all in place. Just wondering if an adhesive is a requirement as from what I'm told from people that have mentioned replacing firebricks, it's a real pain to have to use it...
Ty, David B.

Ty, Bholler, but would I need to use an adhesive like stove cement in between the bricks when I place them inside the furnace chamber? The bricks will all be together inside the bracket as that seems to or appears to keep them all in place. Just wondering if an adhesive is a requirement as from what I'm told from people that have mentioned replacing firebricks, it's a real pain to have to use it...
Ty, David B.
No no need for cement

I need to replace the fire brick in my wood/coal chamber
Why...are they just cracked? If they are, and are not just totally degraded, you can repair them using furnace cement...just brush/blow any dust off the area to glue, damp it with water, apply cement, apply a little pressure to seat the pieces together well (some other bricks placed on top for weight works good) and then let it cure for 24 hrs before firing...I've never had one come apart again (in the same spot) after repairing this way. It works pretty well to repair cracked/broken baffles too...again, assuming they are not just totally degraded.

Thank you all of you for answering my questions. I appreciate it, you have no idea. This is what the inside of my firebox looks like in my furnace for the wood/coal part. I've had the furnace I think for about 14-15 years so I heat mostly with coal. Nut coal. I'm assuming all of the protrusions are from the coal sticking or melting to the firebrick. I did finally talk to a local heating guy who has experience with this and he said that for a lot of these furnaces that I did remember correctly, the firebricks are put in there without an adhesive as the bracket will keep them in place along with the bottom of the frame where the brick sits and they will probably be just slight loosed or have very little wiggle room to it.
The way they look from the picture below is why I wanted to replace them, I figured it's about time, unless someone out there thinks that they still look fine. I don't see any cracks or split bricks yet.
Thank you all for answering me. David B.

20230927_162222.jpg

I don't see a reason there to replace them...

Reactions: bholler
look ok to me to . bricks push up then slide bottom out least wise that's how mine were placed.