quick question on Englander 30 clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OUchessie

Dec 2, 2008
Oklahoma
My wife and I just built a rock wall for our stove, what we did was screw metal lathe on to the painted sheetrock living-room wall (with about a quarter-inch spacer between the lathe and the wall so mortar could grab the lathe) and then built up a stone wall with horizontally-stacked flagstone that averages about four-and-a-half inches thick. The wall is pretty solid but there's no air space between the rock wall and the sheetrock (it's filled with mortar) so I'm assuming it's still considered an unprotected surface?

My question is the Englander manual states a five-inch rear clearance to an unprotected wall with side and rear shields and double-wall pipe. Our stove has the standard rear heat shield but no side shields. We plan on using double-wall stove pipe so does that mean five inches from the back of the stove or five inches from the back of the heat shield?

Many thanks in advance...

Measurement from the heat shields, but I believe the other end is to the actual sheet rock or combustible surface? ie - you need 5" between the shield and the combustible...so if the rock is 4" thick, the shield could set 1" off the rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.