Quick Woodstock Clearance Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I have a quick Woodstock clearance question with factory heat shield.

I am installing my Woodstock with a top vs back flue exit.

What is the rear clearance measured to? The flat back of the stove where the soap stone rear face of the stove or the center cast portion that extends beyond it about three inches or so?

I know I am splitting hairs, but the installation diagram appears to show the clearance right up to where the flue pipe exits the stove - which is nearly flush with the back of it.

I'd like to get this stove as close to the wall as possible.

Also, any problems getting a 90 degree elbow to fit with these close clearances - haven't measured that yet.

Thanks!
Bill

Good question, i'd say the cast iron, but I'd call Woodstock and make sure. Are you installing next to a combustible wall? Their heat shield reduces clearance to 14" I think. A 90 degree elbow will stick out another 8".

The wall is kind of combustable. It is lath and plaster with a thin sheet of paneling on it - so I am working as if it is combustable. Though I am doing a top exit, I am going up and then taking a 90 degree turn into a chimney thimble - that's why I asked about the 90 degree elbow size. I haven't really thought about it much, but I'm assuming most close clearance installs that are top vent go straight up through the roof.

Mostly I am interested in keeping the stove as far out of the center of the room as possible.

Thanks,
Bill

You could go with two 45's instead of the 90..better for drafting also I hear.

You will have to be 30" off the wall unless you use the heat shield then it's reduced to 14.5".

Yes, I am using the heat shield. I am venting out the top with one 90 degree turn into the chimney thimble, so 14.5 is what I am shooting for - maybe 15 ;)

Thanks!
Bill

Well it's good to see you finally getting around to that installation Bill. ;-) Get her fired up!

Given that the cat is right behind that bump out, I'd guess they measure to the bump out. Blaze kings have a better chart for this and they give a clearance to the bumpout. Most clearances are measured from the face of the stone though. So really, you'll need to try your hand at getting that excellent WS service and call them up. You are fortunate in that all you have to do is slide the stove to meet the requirement vs. us vertical flue guys that have to mess with flue offsets.

The one thing WS stoves are inferior with is their rear clearance requirements. Pretty huge compared to modern stoves. They make up for it with their cats.

Highbeam said:
The one thing WS stoves are inferior with is their rear clearance requirements. Pretty huge compared to modern stoves. They make up for it with their cats.

They also make up for it with their shorter 8" front clearance.

I called Woodstock and they said measure to the rear most part of the stove - which I had figured pretty much all along. My delima was in setting the stove per the Woodstock drawing and explaining to the insurance co how the clearance works between the two.

Yea, Todd, this woodstove install has been a GIANT pain in the buttox - it has just about brought me to my knees! I have encountered snags at just about every turn.

I hope to be installed and running Saturday night - we'll see.

Bill

Yes Bill, I hope you have that thing going by Saturday.

Don't forget to do the light burn-in fires. Don't just stoke it up to have a big fire just yet. That will come soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.