Quieter Fan Replacement for Quadrafire i4100?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlipThatLog

Feb 13, 2009
Southern NH
Has anyone replaced the fan on their Quadrafire i4100 Fireplace insert with a quieter motor/fan assembly?
I've noticed other postings from Quadrafire owners mentioning the noise levels of their fans. The only solution so far is to keep the fan speed low. I'm wondering if it is the fan, the vibration induced by the fan in the insert, or both.

Thanks in advance. Always appreciate folks insights here.

Mike

nhl,
just put in a 5700 steptop quad
stove is great, blower is noisy
have had this for some time but the blower has only been used since xmas
was thinking something might be loose but havnt had time to check it out
for the couple hundred it cost it should be quiet thats for sure
and at that price i dont plan to replace it just for the noise
i'll get back to you when i get time to look at it
rustynut

Yeah ... wish mine was quieter but ... shrug ... doubt that anything can be done other than isolating and removing vibrations which I might get around to at some point.

Thanks very much for your replies, rustynut and Paral.
And rustynut - yes, I agree, for what it cost, it should be quiet. (Is perhaps, anyone from Quadrafire listening out there? :-D )

I've taken out the Fan tray once to look at moving the power cord to the other side. It seemed like a simple unit, but I don't recall what the mounts looked like or if they were securely fastened. I'll have to look again this spring or summer when I'm not running our stove.

(Aside: As far as moving the power cord to the other side... The instructions didn't really give enough detail, and our installer/dealer doesn't do electrical work.
In the end, I didn't mess with it - I put in a new wall outlet on the same side as the power cord instead - it was easier.)

If I do anything with the fan our our i4100 this spring/summer I'll post the outcome. At this point, I'm thinking as you did, Paral;
it really seems more like vibration than anything else.

Best,
Mike

I have a quad 5100 for 11 years. The fan was quiet when I first bought the stove. I noticed after burning the stove hot without the fans on the fans became noisy after that. I think the fans have now started to slow down, it feels like there is less air being moved when the fan is on high. Mine are just 110V computer type fans and have thought of just replacing them with fans from electronic equipment, but never get to it. I am wondering if the switch can be slowing down the fans? I have read the switches are expensive also.

Status
Not open for further replies.