Quotation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcdougy

Minister of Fire
Apr 15, 2014
ontario
Received a quotation for a supply and install of a PE fp30. My question is in regards to the CHIMNEY STOVE PIPE.
This will be a brand new home install. Stove will be on end wall (exterior) centered. Floor to ceiling will be 14'. The width of the hearth and interior pipe chase will be aprox. 6.5'. I received a call from shop owner saying that he did not want to run pipe straight up, due to when it exits the roof it will be at the ridge. He said the flashing for a ridge termination was big and ugly. He suggested, and I agreed, that the insulated pipe should be offset, to get away from the ridge. I was surprised when I received the quotation he is using two 45's to achieve this. Am I correct, and should I suggest that two 15's is a better way to produce the offset.?
I thought I should ask here before I start telling a shop owner "what I would do." I am sure I have read that with any appliance straight termination is the best, and if It is not achievable, 90's and 45's are last resort if 15's and 22.5's won't do the task?
thanks46

Last edited:
A chimney for a wood burning appliance isn't allowed to offset more than 30 degrees. 45's would be allowed on stovepipe, but not the chimney itself.

My bad.....stove pipe.....insulated stainless icc 6" pipe. If this pipe needs to offset the ridge by 18", are 45's a little aggressive way to achieve this?

Stove pipe is not allowed, it must be chimney pipe per the stove manual. ICC 6" chimney is a good product. The maximum allowed offset angle is 30º.

Last edited:
Ha....whatever...the stuff the exhaust goes through.
Your fireplace doesn't use any stovepipe, the chimney will sit on top of the fireplace and continue through the roof. 30 degree elbows are most common for a standard offset. 45's are not to be used for wood.

In Canada, It appears that 45's are allowed and listed. Icc has them on their website. My thinking is that since "not allowed" in u.s.a. That there is no need for them to be used in this install. Is there ever a draft or buildup issue when using the 30's?