Racing tires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
From a (much Greener) thread about tire particulates...

Lol, I have forgotten more about performance tires than most people know about their own spouse. Nitto makes some good tires. The 106Y spec is just so they can get Pirelli to make an OEM tire for it. You think I'm going to suggest some grandma all-season? I used to race, competitively, on the best tires. What's your tire size? I can pick out a few options that will make those stupid Pirellis feel like Low Rolling Resistance tires.

I'm also assuming you are on 20" wheels, which further limits your tire choices.

Cool. I appreciate that. I'll PM you with the details, so as to not derail the thread (any more than I already did). If it's interesting to others, I guess we could always re-post to another thread.

I’m always up for learning something new. So one vote for a new thread.

I'd support that too if not for any other reason than to hear about what kind of racing @SpaceBus did. ;)

Sorry about the dirty wheels. Probably only 30 miles since the last cleaning, those brake pads are the dustiest I've ever owned.

Obviously, I'm not doing 185 mph around town, so Y rating is a little excessive, but I'd like to stay at the same load rating. Primary use is just sporty driving on country roads, and semi-frequent expressway driving (usually < 100 mph). Treadwear is not a primary concern (why I stayed with the PZero's), I average < 5k per year on this car.

... and yes, I do like my 20" wheels. :) Not drag racing anymore, no need for more side wall.

View attachment 296203

View attachment 296202

Not a green room topic.

Not a green room topic.
Yeah, I was wondering where to put it, so I just stuck it in the same forum as the thread that spawned it. Thanks for moving.

These days race tires are available for 20" wheels, just because some of the fastest production cars are using 20" wheels to clear massive brakes. I liked the 20's on my Challenger, but if they were ugly I would have gone down to 19" wheels for better tire selection.

The big sidewall on the top drag cars is so they can air them down and reduce the overall rolling diameter until up to speed. This gives them some variable gearing on the final drive. I used to think it was for grip purposes, but then an old racer taught me better. Also, the contact patch between the tire and the road is the same area when going to a narrow tire to a wide tire, but the shape changes, assuming the pressures are the same.

Hmm... someone renamed the thread. These tires are NOT for racing. ;lol

Hmm... someone renamed the thread. These tires are NOT for racing. ;lol
I just removed the prolog relating to the green room. Racing tires was in the original title after the hyphen.
Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 10.02.36 AM.png

Reactions: sloeffle and Ashful