Radiance 2600 bad spill switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bta79

Jan 1, 2022
Maryland
I have a direct vent VT Casting Radiance 2600 setup from propane. I'm not sure the age but probably 20-ish years. It appears to have a bad spill switch. It lights fine but after running for less than 1 minute and just starting to warm up it shuts off. When it shuts down it is losing continuity across the spill switch (vent switch). So I jumped out the switch temporarily and it works normally.

I obviously don't want to leave this jumped out so I'm looking for a replacement spill switch. Since this thing is old and discontinued I can't find what switch this takes. Does anyone know what thermal spill switch this takes or at least what the open switch temp rating should be: 160F, 250F, etc. ?

I have a direct vent VT Casting Radiance 2600 setup from propane. I'm not sure the age but probably 20-ish years. It appears to have a bad spill switch. It lights fine but after running for less than 1 minute and just starting to warm up it shuts off. When it shuts down it is losing continuity across the spill switch (vent switch). So I jumped out the switch temporarily and it works normally.

I obviously don't want to leave this jumped out so I'm looking for a replacement spill switch. Since this thing is old and discontinued I can't find what switch this takes. Does anyone know what thermal spill switch this takes or at least what the open switch temp rating should be: 160F, 250F, etc. ?
Sounds like the spill switch is working correctly.
Did you check your vent?

If you have a spill switch, it is a B Vent and not a direct vent.
If this is the manual for your stove:https://www.fire-parts.com/pages/manual/vermont-castings-radiance-2600-radiance_2600_install-pdf
There is a part listed as "Vent Switch", that may be what you are looking for.

If you have a spill switch, it is a B Vent and not a direct vent.
If this is the manual for your stove:https://www.fire-parts.com/pages/manual/vermont-castings-radiance-2600-radiance_2600_install-pdf
There is a part listed as "Vent Switch", that may be what you are looking for.
That is the model that I have. Also, I misspoke earlier and you are correct about the venting.

Searching that part number in the manual (500-2946) didn't come up with any good results. The sensor itself only has the markings T-O-D for Therm-O-Disc.

I tried to attach a pic of the old switch. It is riveted to a L-shaped bracket that sticks up into the vent. It is the same size of something like this from Grainger . But just wondering if it is a 140, 160, 200, 250F, etc. cut off.

Old one:
20220101_105721.jpg

Similar switch w/ same dimensions.

snapdisc.PNG