Radiant floor under carpet and pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
headrc said:
Hi all ...I would like to know what the general feeling is about putting radiant heat under a floor with carpet on it? Thx, RH

People do it all the time. I suspect it slows down the response time a bit, but radiant isn't about rapidly changing the temperature in the room anyway. I suppose if you have a thick carpet and pad, you might want to have a bit more insulation on the bottom side so that the path of least resistance is still into the living space.

Hi, I have radiant under my carpet, no problem. The heating guy was a bit worried but I told him no problem. Actually it's awesome. I have heard that there are pads for radiant heat houses.? Just pay attention to the areas near windows, my guy doubled up the hoses underneath around the windows.

If you use the heat loss calculator often referred to on thes pages... you'll see choices for carpet & different padding.
Bottom Line- it works. We've done a bunch of them, but pay attention because if it sys supplemental heat required, it probably is.
In one case we did put radiant tubing in the walls.

I'm considering putting carpet and pad over a concrete slab on grade w/ radiant. Some people have told me not to put anything with an R value greater than 1.5.
Does anyone have suggestions for type and make of pad and carpet?
Does anyone have a similar situation that works for them? Or doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.