Rain coming down flue despite crown rebuild and caps installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marconis

Dec 13, 2021
NY
Hi all. Back in October I had my crown rebuilt, a stainless liner on my boiler flue, as well as a clay extension to make the fireplace flue a little taller. Prior to this I was getting water down in my fireplace due to cracks all in the crown as well as flues that sat flush with the crown. I also had/have some water intrusion in my attic along the flashing; used to be much worse before they siliconed the joints so I'll probably get up there again and add some more.

Anyway, on heavy rains, even with what I deem minimal wind, I'm still getting some water down the flue and into the fireplace. I thought the extended tile and new caps would have mitigated the issue. Now, heavy winds I can understand, but see below for what came down last night with 7mph winds, 10mph gusts, and a real heavy rain. Liner was drenched and gave my soot a nice bath. The rain always comes down the right side of the flue alongside the boiler flue. Which makes me wonder if water is splashing/pouring/blowing off the boiler flue cap and into the holes of the cap for the fireplace. Additionally, the bottom of the cap is heavily saturated with water when I look up the flue. To my untrained eye, they seem a little close and perhaps they should have extended the flue of my fireplace just a little higher so it was well clear of the boiler side.

What do ya'll think?

Thanks!

IMG_1334.jpg IMG_3027.jpg IMG_3029.jpg IMG_3136.jpg IMG_4584.jpg

Is the lower cap pouring water down the other flu? The cap overhang could be directing the water.

I would instead make one flue higher; a single cap may have smoke from one due sucked into the other.

I would instead make one flue higher; a single cap may have smoke from one due sucked into the other.

That's what the chimney guys said, now that I remember. I wish they made it higher in the first place but oh well. I'll get it done this spring when I get it inspected/swept, can't imagine it's that pricey.

That's what the chimney guys said, now that I remember. I wish they made it higher in the first place but oh well. I'll get it done this spring when I get it inspected/swept, can't imagine it's that pricey.

Yes. But I'd have one 1-2 ft higher than the other.