Rain Gutter Covers or Filters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help but wonder if the foam would soon be clogged by shingle-grit.
Basically this product "filters" the water coming off your roof.
After a season of rain...you now have a gutter full of whatever was filtered out. (ewww)
Time to clean the filter? ( Isn't cleaning gutters a chore this product is supposed to eliminate? )

The robot would be a "cool" tool (toy) but would not fit under the gutter spikes.

I have found that the ordinary screen-type gutter covers work just fine, are easy to install, available everywhere, and are inexpensive.
They keep out the bigger leaves and twigs that do the actual gutter-clogging while allowing smaller stuff (dirt, grit, etc.) to wash down.

Supposedly the foam type filters will keep the grit on top and not allow it to pass through. I'll have to try to get samples to check for myself though.

I have the screen filters on the house now. Some pine needles and smaller junk still gets through and turns to mud. They are better than nothing but still not that great.

That Looj bot is designed to fit under the gutter spikes. (Look at the videos.)

My advise for what it's worth is don't use them. They have a tendency to freeze over and set you up for ice dams. Just clean them it's better in the long run. You won't ruin your roof trying to break up the ice dams in the middle of January. Don't ask me how I found this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.