rain in the stove? is this normal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood burning cop

Nov 10, 2012
northern indiana
I dont have any performance issues with my stove at this time, but we had some rain and i noticed that there was a puddle of water on top of the stove and that the baffle board inside the stove was wet. It looks like it came down the inside of the pipe and then most of it went inside the sotve, but some of it came out where the double wall stovepipe meets the stove collar. I called duravent and they said they only make one stove pipe cap and that is what i have on the chimney. It must be coming in through the sides of the cap when the rain is blowing. is this common and should i worry about it. I was just going to seal the collar to the stove top with some high temp stove cement. This would keep it all in the stove. any thoughts or suggestions. chimney is about 6 foot of double wall inside and about 8 foot of triple wall class a outside with the cap on it. thanks,

I had the same problems back in 09 i made a home made cap and screwed it to the current cap. Also i sealed around all the seems up on the roof part of the chimney and i have no moisture issue now.

do you have any photos of the cap you made. I was just thinking of screwing a larger round plate on the top of the other cap. If it is blowing sideways it wont help, but the company said that the cap works fine and only is tested to a 45 degree angle.

do you have any photos of the cap you made. I was just thinking of screwing a larger round plate on the top of the other cap. If it is blowing sideways it wont help, but the company said that the cap works fine and only is tested to a 45 degree angle.

It is an old TV satellite dish it is not one of the huge dishes but it did the job. I cut holes in the sides so rain could drain off of it.

They make weather resistant caps to keep sideways rain out.

Reactions: ScotO
i cant seem to find anything that looks like it will work any better than what i have. They all seem to have mesh and a small top plate. i think the one i have has about a 10 inch plate on the top. would have to climb up on the roof to be sure. does anyone think it will cause problems to just screw on about an 18 or 20 inch top plate. this would take care of about everything except for when the rain is going straight sideways. Would it interfeer with the draft or exit of the smoke?

Sounds to me like you have two issues here.....one issue being the water getting inside the pipe at the cap.
However, the water that is showing up on the OUTSIDE of your stove, that sounds to me like you have an issue with the storm collar that goes AROUND your pipe right above the roof flashing....that is, unless your pipe is installed upside down. You shouldn't have any water coming OUTSIDE that pipe due to it leaking on the INSIDE. If you go up on your roof, check to make sure you have a good seal around your storm collar, with some hi-temp silicone. Here's some pics of some storm proof caps, maybe check into one of these....

STSTDW1.JPG

8176EhFPLHL._SL500_SS500_.gif

Here is a picture of the storm collar (highlighted in yellow). Make sure you have one of these properly installed and sealed onto the pipe, or else you'll ALWAYS have water problems!

5se-jsc56asc-1-lg.jpg

Reactions: dorkweed
Sounds to me like you have two issues here.....one issue being the water getting inside the pipe at the cap.
However, the water that is showing up on the OUTSIDE of your stove, that sounds to me like you have an issue with the storm collar that goes AROUND your pipe right above the roof flashing....that is, unless your pipe is installed upside down. You shouldn't have any water coming OUTSIDE that pipe due to it leaking on the INSIDE. If you go up on your roof, check to make sure you have a good seal around your storm collar, with some hi-temp silicone. Here's some pics of some storm proof caps, maybe check into one of these....

STSTDW1.JPG

8176EhFPLHL._SL500_SS500_.gif

Here is a picture of the storm collar (highlighted in yellow). Make sure you have one of these properly installed and sealed onto the pipe, or else you'll ALWAYS have water problems!

5se-jsc56asc-1-lg.jpg
+1 about storm collar i had to seal around mine.

the storm collar is in place and sealed well. in the living space the outside of the pipe and everything around it is dry so is the roof support box. where the double wall meets the stove collar i think there is a sealing issue. most of the water is going right into the stove, but some of it leaks out where the collar is attached to the top of the stove. I am going to take stove cement around it, but i wanted to find a better cap first. the one in the picture looks good. any idea what it is called and where i can get it. all of the ones i looked up and can seem to find dont look like that. thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.