rainbow color?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
possible that you had a little chimney fire up top and the pipe got hot? the only rainbow i can associate with stainless steel is heat related.

perhaps you got the "Rainbow Coalition" pipe- good for you. Support diversity.

martel said:
perhaps you got the "Rainbow Coalition" pipe- good for you. Support diversity.

To a wood burner diversity is burning hardwood one day and softwood the next.

MountainStoveGuy said:
possible that you had a little chimney fire up top and the pipe got hot? the only rainbow i can associate with stainless steel is heat related.

I was thinking the same thing, but I have also seen a slight discoloration on stainless that I think is caused from when your fire is smoldering a bit too much and the smoke is collecting or curling around the top of the pipe, when it is really still out (no wind). If there is moisture on the outside of the pipe, like in early morning, the smoke and ash collect on the mositure and over time a bit of a deposit builds up.

Just a theory anyway. Not as scary as thinking chimney fire, but to make sure, I'd want to inspect the pipe.

I rum my stove in the garage in the deep of winter at 800° and the single wall pipe says 600° Then it hit the ceiling support then its stainless steel up / out and past the roof 5' . No dis-color on my class A pipe. If my set up run this hot with no dis color then it does sound like single wall pipe he is talking about OR chimney fire.

DonCT said:
Roospike said:
I rum my stove

I can't believe you need to get your stove drunk in order to run it....... :p
Well , You know .......... I used to live in Kentucky soooooooooo , Lots of alcie stoves out chare yonder. Nutton wrong with a little warm rum in the winter time. :cheese: You dont rum your stove ?

DonCT said:
Roospike said:
I rum my stove

I can't believe you need to get your stove drunk in order to run it....... :p

Ya think them cedar thingies will light off a stove, just put some'a that rum in that sucker and back up a few feet.

minesmoria said:
The top last foot of my selkirk chimney has a rainbow color on it, why does it do this?

I had my wood stove installed and Class A installed in September of last year, by the middle of November I also noticed this rainbow effect on the top portion of my selkirk. I just related it to the fact that it was new (Breaking in period?). Between September and Mid November, I only ran the stove a handful of times (Not that Cold outside) so I don’t think I could have enough build up in the Class A to start a Chimney fire. The Rainbow effect did go away by January/February time frame.

I wonder if the rainbow color is a Selkirk specific coating reacting with the flue gases curling back down from the rain cap.
Doesn't seem to be overheating discoloration if it goes away after time.
I noticed the rainbow after my second day with a brand new Selkir 6" chimney and Napoleon 1400 Stove.
I was concerned it was from overheating but I was keeping a pretty close eye on stove(500-600F) and pipe temps (400F).
I'm also concerned that it seems that the raincap is causing flue gases to flow a foot or so down the outside of the chimney.

I had/have the same trouble. Last year just after I installed the chimney it started showing the rainbow colors. I called Selkirk and was told that the chimney was short and needed to go up 1ft. Well I went up with a 3ft piece and still got the colors. This Summer it washed off and looked just like new again. Now that I have been burning again there it is the rainbow. I have their deluxe cap on and watching the smoke when the fire is first started the smoke does roll down. I would not worry about it. It will get better as it gets colder out.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.