Rainy day splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jay106n

Minister of Fire
Apr 1, 2015
Litchfield County, CT
Was a cold rainy drizzly day and my Giants were just gonna get destroyed again (and they did). I had nothing to do and my standby log pile was getting too big. The rounds had been sitting on the ground for about a year, so I decided I would do some splitting to clear it out so I can start all over again. The Ariens 22T splitter still works like a champ. The problem now is I don't have any room in my stacks to put the splits. I'm looking to make a standby split stack somewhere in the yard. Just don't know where to go with the splits yet. I had to stop just before dusk. Not this years wood, maybe next year or the next. At the end of the day I was pretty water logged but I'm happy to get it done.

IMG_8297_1.jpg

Last edited:
In the past I would leave a pile like that out thru the winter. Sometimes I would put a tarp over the pile.

In the past I would leave a pile like that out thru the winter. Sometimes I would put a tarp over the pile.

That's what I figured. If I don't get to stacking it somewhere I'll just tarp it and wait untill spring when my stacks will be diminished to stack it. I put 4 pallets out to throw them on just in case. Buttt I don't thing my OCD will allow that. Lol

Last edited:
I have that same splitter but 27 ton. Works like a charm. Also in the same boat as you, having a big pile of splits like that in the yard and still not really sure where to put them. ((firewood hoarding problems))

I typically start gathering wood this time of year, usually around 4 cords by x-mas, I then split it during the winter (weather permitting) and usually just leave it in a heap of a pile until June or so. I love looking out window at my "wood landing" and marvel at my work.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Some of those splits look like pretty long lengths, how big a split does your stove take?

And nice work by the way!

Some of those splits look like pretty long lengths, how big a split does your stove take?

And nice work by the way!

Thanks. I can do 22 inches in the Allnighter Moe stove. The splitter handles up to 23 inches.