Raised Hearth for NC-13?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbird560

Feb 2, 2011
SW Arkansas
Looking at this new NC-13 it is small and low. Have any of you 13 owners built a raised platform to set the stove on to make it more convienient to load, tend, etc.? How high do you recommend?

Thanks,
Jbird

If you're placing it on a combustible floor you have to raise it up quite a bit to meet the required R value for the pad anyway. For my NC-13 I made it from 2x4" steel studs, a layer of cement board (like Hardiebacker) and paving stones on top of that. It was nice having it up higher for loading. So nice that I plan on elevating my new stove even though I don't have to.

Alan

The 13 NC has a stiff hearth insulation requirement so a raised hearth could be a good way to address this, especially with a good air space below the hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.