Raising the hearth and bottom of firebox of a gas fireplace by 4 inches

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hearthylaugh

Aug 5, 2022
Newport Beach, CA
Hi experts,

Thanks in advance for the patience. I've been trying to come to a general conclusion on the risks around the idea here.

The fireplace in this photo is in a sunken living room. The floors need to come up about 8 inches to get to level. The white brick hearth needs to come up about 4 inches.

Can I just stack another brick on top of the hearth to add 4 inches, and put 2-4 inches of concrete tiles or stones/volcanic rock in the bottom of the firebox to raise up the bottom of the firebox?

It would shrink the vertical opening of the fireplace, but because this fireplace is basically just decorative in a warm climate (southern california), do I need to worry meaningfully about the airflow?

Thanks in advance for any help, and for the tolerance of a highly ignorant question!

PXL_20220802_181757506 (1).jpg

What will the final height of the fireplace opening after you raise the floor? Most gas log sets require an 18” MINIMUM opening height.

Reactions: KCo
Hi experts,

Thanks in advance for the patience. I've been trying to come to a general conclusion on the risks around the idea here.

The fireplace in this photo is in a sunken living room. The floors need to come up about 8 inches to get to level. The white brick hearth needs to come up about 4 inches.

Can I just stack another brick on top of the hearth to add 4 inches, and put 2-4 inches of concrete tiles or stones/volcanic rock in the bottom of the firebox to raise up the bottom of the firebox?

It would shrink the vertical opening of the fireplace, but because this fireplace is basically just decorative in a warm climate (southern california), do I need to worry meaningfully about the airflow?

Thanks in advance for any help, and for the tolerance of a highly ignorant question!

View attachment 297631
I’m also looking to raise a sunken room floor and have a 5” differential where the fireplace will be lower. I’m wondering if the hearth can have a stone/concrete slope as it enters the fireplace box. I’m interested in whether the fireplace box floor can be adjusted too. Hope someone responds to your question. Thanks for posting.