Raker ID help please....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I put a chain on my Dolmar 5100 and the raker's look different than the chain I took off. Could someone tell me what this chain is and how aggressive it should be?

Thanks
Shipper

Attachments

• raker_600_450.jpg
    raker_600_450.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 294
from what i can see it looks like they are bent over and rounded off, if that is right then thats the new style of saftey chain

Hard to tell from that angle photo, but I would agree possibly safety chain on the rakers, looks like a full chisel design on the cutters.

Where did you purchase it, and what is the make / part number?

If it came from a "Big Box" store, it's almost 100% certain that it's a safety chain, as that's all they sell.

If you've run it, you own it, but if you haven't, you might consider taking it back and getting a pro-grade chain.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Hard to tell from that angle photo, but I would agree possibly safety chain on the rakers, looks like a full chisel design on the cutters.

Where did you purchase it, and what is the make / part number?

If it came from a "Big Box" store, it's almost 100% certain that it's a safety chain, as that's all they sell.

If you've run it, you own it, but if you haven't, you might consider taking it back and getting a pro-grade chain.

Gooserider
Its a used chain from a buddy, I will have to ask him about it when I talk to him again. Wasn't sure when I saw the rakers were bent over like that.

Shipper

It does look like Oregon Vanguard (full-chisel low-kickback), although everybody might be making that style of raker now for all I know. FWIW, I think it cuts fine.

That's the chain that came on my 5100. Rebadged Oregon Vanguard. A little time with a die grinder will fix it right up. I just ground all of the side layovers off of mine. Cuts fine now. Happy with it when new but after first sharpening, I was less than impressed.

aandabooks said:
That's the chain that came on my 5100. Rebadged Oregon Vanguard. A little time with a die grinder will fix it right up. I just ground all of the side layovers off of mine. Cuts fine now. Happy with it when new but after first sharpening, I was less than impressed.

rakers needed dressing after first sharpening... ground them down pretty good so it would cut better and went out a got a good (non safety) chain to be my main "clean wood chain"

Now I use that original chain for "dirty wood"

Status
Not open for further replies.