Rare Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FaithfulWoodsman

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2015
Geographic Center of Ohio
So helping my FIL move when he tells me he has some leftover wood I should take. His wood was stored in a large sunroom type of location, not intentional, but it gets super hot in summer and acts somewhat like a solar kiln. I find about a chord of ash, cherry, hard/soft maple, oak, b walnut and even a bit of hedge. Now get this.......all of it is below 15%! Even the hedge and it's only been CSS in there for a little over a year. Took it home and started filling the shed. I've got plenty of 2 year stuff ready to go under tarps I was planning on using first, but just couldn't let this batch go anywhere but under roof. Put a smile on my face to scack again.

Attachments

• IMG_20160924_231052735.jpg
    IMG_20160924_231052735.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 340
Rare indeed. Not often that someone accidentally gets their wood that dry!

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
That's awesome. Good heat really makes a difference. My dad has a green house he was stacking cherry into it in March. I can't believe how dry it is all ready.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

My dad has a green house he was stacking cherry into it in March. I can't believe how dry it is all ready.
Yeah. I've read the solar kiln threads on here and I'm sure they work. Never been that into building one. However, I will be building a large greenhouse for our growing garden this winter/spring. I plan to make it big enough to throw in some denser stuff to try and speed up the drying process for the hotter burning wood. I have plenty of wood, but need about a cord of hot stuff per year for overnights, which is not always ready due to the slower process. Seeing how dry the oak was after 1 year in the room made me more of a believer.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Its easy to find plenty of silver maple And poplar for me. Drys in one full year in the sun. But the oak and hickory is never ready when I need it. I have been keeping an eye out for a cheap green house. I think ventilation would then be the key. Heat is important. But most green houses are humid. My dad leave both doors open and a fan for air travel

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I built a greenhouse for my wood with a roof vent on the top to pull out moisture. There's small windows on each each with box fans blowing inward to feed the roof vent. It works amazing and I've already got stoce ready wood that I just split a few months ago.

Greenhouses are worth it.

I built a greenhouse for my wood with a roof vent on the top to pull out moisture. There's small windows on each each with box fans blowing inward to feed the roof vent. It works amazing and I've already got stoce ready wood that I just split a few months ago.

Greenhouses are worth it.
What kind of wood have you been drying with it?

Gotta trunkload of usefuls in the Stratus while out scouting. (city dump, biogdegradable section.)
About three days worth in 10 minutes. Not worth going back in the truck but worth grabbing.
All Maple, one oak round. Even tho not much, I do this days per week and stack keeps getting
further ahead.

Every bit helps for sure. Sounds like you can get about half a month's worth in one week doing that every day. Not bad.

Makes me want to build a separate "sun house" just for my wood.

You guys should post some pics of your designs so we can get some inspiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.