RATS!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
Okay, so maybe I was wrong! For many months now, we thought we were settled on a Harman Oakwood stove until yesterday when I read one poster's comment about his Oakwood needing a $300 part replacement every few years. What's the dif between replacing a catalytic unit and replacing the Oakwood afterburn unit? I thought non-cats didn't have/require periodic expensive parts that had to be replaced. I'm not interested in going that route.

So, if I go away from the Oakwood, can someone suggest a non-cat, rear flue capable (required!), approx. 3.0 cu. ft. stove, with the ash pan that can be emptied while the fire is going, with some of the nice features of the Oakwood, that doesn't require several hundred dollars investment every few years? I'm trying to heat about 2200 sq. ft. I can do without the "nice features" (i.e. grill insert in top) of the Oakwood, but front AND top loading would be high on the list of preferred features.

Will appreciate and check out any suggestions!

It's cold down cher in Texas!!

Texas boy said:
Okay, so maybe I was wrong! For many months now, we thought we were settled on a Harman Oakwood stove until yesterday when I read one poster's comment about his Oakwood needing a $300 part replacement every few years. What's the dif between replacing a catalytic unit and replacing the Oakwood afterburn unit? I thought non-cats didn't have/require periodic expensive parts that had to be replaced. I'm not interested in going that route.

So, if I go away from the Oakwood, can someone suggest a non-cat, rear flue capable (required!), approx. 3.0 cu. ft. stove, with the ash pan that can be emptied while the fire is going, with some of the nice features of the Oakwood, that doesn't require several hundred dollars investment every few years? I'm trying to heat about 2200 sq. ft. I can do without the "nice features" (i.e. grill insert in top) of the Oakwood, but front AND top loading would be high on the list of preferred features.

I'm unfamiliar with Harmon, but $300 for catalytic replacement parts isn't bad. I believe Jotul is cheaper for their Cat parts. Vermont Castings parts cost is equivalent to a violent, public beating. Very painful.

Texas boy said:

The cat vs. non-cat debate is... odd, and every stove requires maintenance. That being said, their are many fine stoves that are Cat and Non-Cat. Have you thought about a Hearthstove? I do not know what your budget is like, but my father in-law has the heritage and it is really nice. It isn't a top loader, it can be loaded from the side, though. The Mansfield would probably be the size for you: http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood-stoves/stove-details?product_id=2

Crap, just noticed you wanted a back vent set up which it doesn't have...

Since posting that I've heard of two people who got that Harman part a lot cheaper ($200 and $130, I think). And you may need to get it in two years, maybe ten years, depending on a variety of factors. I'm basing my cautions on my own experience and that of a few others, but there seem to be plenty of Harman owners who have no problems with the rear chamber (so far). It seems that is a lot like the wide range of time spans (and prices) you hear with people replacing cat combustors. If you are careful you should get a longer lifespan.
Beyond replacement, you do need to do periodic cleaning for cats and downdrafts. So the lowest maintenance is going to be a stove with burn tubes, and if you want a top-loader that leaves maybe only the Quad Isle Royale. You may still be spending money on baffles and bricks and gaskets in a few years, don't forget.
After reading so much about cat stoves, I think they are worth the very minor costs of time and money to maintain. The control of heat output with longer, cooler burns (and potential reduced wood use) of Blaze Kings and Woodstocks impresses me.

Quadrafire Isle Royale has top load and is a 3 cu ft stove. A good heater by all reports. While looking, take a look at the Jotul F600 (side loader) too.

BrowningBAR said:
Texas boy said:

The cat vs. non-cat debate is... odd, and every stove requires maintenance. That being said, their are many fine stoves that are Cat and Non-Cat. Have you thought about a Hearthstove? I do not know what your budget is like, but my father in-law has the heritage and it is really nice. It isn't a top loader, it can be loaded from the side, though. The Mansfield would probably be the size for you: http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood-stoves/stove-details?product_id=2

Crap, just noticed you wanted a back vent set up which it doesn't have...

Yes, the Mansfield WOULD be the size (and would be my choice) if it had the rear flue setup. I think it's a great stove. Wonder why they don't make it in the reversible flue format? Most of their line has 'em. <sigh!>

I looked really hard at buying an Oakwood this year but decided on the Lopi Leyden. It has a changeable rear flue and I tell you although some may disagree - I have had 10-12 hour fires and I absolutely love this stove. Although I do not have any other comparisons because I am a new woodburner I read much here and have lurked for months then made a purchase and couldn't be happier. The Lopi is a great stove and it will crank out the heat and keep a fire. It does use wood when you have it going hard but when you put it in cruise mode it is a pleasure to "feel". I would say that the fire effects when in cruise are not what the Oslos are but for a great top loader that is smaller and pretty to look it, it is a great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.