rattling blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derekgraser

Oct 14, 2009
CT
The blower on my new Regency 2400 insert rattles when the stove starts to die down. If I put a little pressure on the cover plate with my finger, it stops. But then immediately back to rattling when I take my finger off. So I tried messing with the cover plate a bit. Taking it off and putting it back on. But nothing has worked so far.

Has anyone ever have this problem? If so, what is the easiest fix. Or should I just call my dealer. The stove is brand new.

Thanks.

Any place you can shim it with a playing card or matchbook?

First thing I'd check is to make sure the blower assembly is fully seated against
the face of the insert & that the two tabs on the top of the blower are fully engaged in the slots
welded to the bottom of the ash lip.
If it's fully seated & still rattling, pull the blower unit off the face of the unit & make
sure every nut/screw/bolt is tight.
If they are, check the position of the thermodisk bracket to make sure it's forcing the
disk against the face of the insert below the ash lip.
The bracket can be "tweaked" to bend it one way or the other if need be,
or the mounting screws can be adjusted to re-position the bracket.
Whatever adjustments you make, the disk MUST be against the face of the insert.
Other wise it will not close to actuate the blower when it's supposed to,
because it'll take longer to reach the proscribed temperature (125*F, IIRC)...
HTH

Usually there is a gasket or seal between the Motor and the frame. The cover is not where the vibration is originating. I'd try pulling the motor and seeing if there is a pre-fab gasket or sealer. If you want to do it quick and easy use high temp caulk liberal bead and remount the motor screwing it down evenly until you get a nice squeeze all around. You might use motor dampers, but this may be overkill. My blower motor was making noise last year and I couldn't afford to replace it, so I pulled and cleaned it and did a little low teck balancing. Used some head gasket material for shock pads and hi-temp to seal. When I put it back together I thought I had really messed it up, because there was no noise, only a nice breeze from the vents.

Status
Not open for further replies.