Ravelli vermiculite liner replacement (RV-80)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

waltonb

Mar 2, 2015
Milford MA
Has anyone successfully replaced the fireproof lining in a Ravelli pellet stove?

I bought the replacement kit, but getting the old one out is apparently impossible without breaking all the screws which hold an L-bracket at the bottom which is holding it in.

So far I've broken one screw, possibly two, and now thinking I should not proceed without some better plan.

Yes I do know about PB Blaster but this seems to make no difference to these screws, which are frozen in rust inside the firebox and very brittle.

thanks for tips if anyone has tackled this.

-bruce.

Break them off and drill and tap them for new screws and when you replace them, coat them liberally with Never Seize.

As an aside, last time I replaced mine in my 6039, I built a form from wood and bought a bag of Rutland thermo mix and made my own. Still in there (4 years) and doing just fine.

Reactions: mrglopez
Don't have a clue what the Rutland mix is made from. All I know is I made a wood form, mixed the Rutand stuff with water and put it in the form and took it and put it in the oven at 300 degrees for 6 hours and all was good. Much less expensive that buying one ready made.

I googled for "rutland mix" but have not found any result showing what it is and where to buy.
Tractor Supply had it a couple years ago.

I just looked, Tractor Supply still has it in 25 pound and 50 pound dry mix pails.

R value isn't germane to me. It's a backer board and insulating value is of no consequence.

Rutland castable refactory cement is what i used 12.5 lbs was enough to make two boards for my 6039 gave one away still using the other. I don't think ACE carries it any more but Amazon has it.

Amazon product ASIN B000H5T5EA
Bought castable refractory cement at ACE hardware, let it dry for two days then cured it in my barbecue grill as it does smell a little when curing. 00001.jpg 00002.jpg00003.jpg

Reactions: Bigbrat
Rutland castable refactory cement is what i used 12.5 lbs was enough to make two boards for my 6039 gave one away still using the other. I don't think ACE carries it any more but Amazon has it.

Amazon product ASIN B000H5T5EA
Like I said, Tractor Supply still offers it. Did mine just like yours but made it pretty' by using a popsickle stick to impress the lines of fake brick in it (like the original). Put mine in the wife' oven (she wasn't home and yes it does give off a not so pleasant odor) when curing. Lots cheaper than buying one.

Reactions: Washed-Up