Q&A Re: Antique "Fire Starter"

QandA Posted By QandA, Oct 5, 2001 at 2:20 PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

    New Member 2.
    Staff Member

    Nov 27, 2012

    Hope that you don't mind the intrusion - but I'm looking around for some info:My grandmother recently passed away and in her home we found an "antique item" that she always referred to as a "Fire Starter". The three piece set is made up of a brass bowl- a lid and a "wand" that has a brass handle and an unglazed ceramic "bulb" at the end. It appears to me that the intention was to soak the ceramic bulb in some sort of combustible liquid- ignite it and then place it under the kindling.Do you know anything about these items (am I correct in my assumptions- what they were called- when were they popular- etc.)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.


    Yes- these are called "cape cod lighters" and are still available today. Kerosene is used on many of them to provide the liquid.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page