RE: Bill and I and my Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
So yesterday Hurricaine Bill was hanging off the coast of Maine which resulted in some rain in the morning so I figured it would be a good time to start cleaning my stove in preparation for this Fall.

Things I did . . .

Polished my stove . . . although I wasn't really happy with the results since it left a kind of yellowish-looking residue that wouldn't buff off. It almost looks like some parts of the stove are covered in a thin layer of yellow polin . . . not really that notable until you're up close. I may end up painting the stove . . . or just waiting and hoping it will burn off.

Applied a couple coats of sealant to my slate hearth.

Cleaned out the ash pan and fire box . . . and cleaned the glass.

Checked the gaskets and seals with the $1 bill test . . . well $10 bill test since that's the only bill I had on me at the time.

Checked the bricks and inside of the firebox . . . opted to put a little bit of stove cement into the back two corners where it appeared some cement had come out . . . no issues with penetration (couldn't see any light outside when the light was inside the stove, but figured better safe than sorry) . . . and put some cement up near the baffle where it appeared as though there was some there before that had come out

Took off the doghouse and used some graphite on the air control lever . . . marked improvement . . . not really sure why I didn't do this last year . . . very easy fix for the sticky handle

Messed around with the front door latch so that it opens easier for my wife, but still has a good seal

Took the insulating blanket off the baffle and cleaned up the ash above the baffle by removing the oval plate on the top

Took apart the stove pipe and cleaned them . . . and then had a miserable time trying to get one pipe's screw holes lined up

Cleaned the metal chimney during a break in the rain

-----------

So I think I'm ready . . . don't think I missed anything during my very first pre-season check

I did have a few stupid questions though.

Stupid question #1: The $10 bill test worked great. Could not pull the $10 bill out of either the front door or side door. However, on the ash pan I could pull the bill out with some effort. Should the gasket be replaced? Is this to be expected after only one year of use?

Stupid question #2: The center oval top plate can be unbolted and left unbolted . . . correct? For some reason this just doesn't seem right since if it is left unbolted the $10 bill can still be pulled out in the same manner as the ash pan . . . in other words it will come out with some pulling force.

Stupid question #3: I forget how the oval top plate sits on the stove. Is it flush with the nearby raised lip or is it slightly higher than the oval lip that surrounds it? I'm trying to figure out if I put the gasket back on correctly or not.

I'm going from what I know about detailing cars....

I'd see if the polish burns off first. If you try to paint over that stuff, it probably won't let the paint bond correctly. IMHO.

Skier76 said:
I'm going from what I know about detailing cars....

I'd see if the polish burns off first. If you try to paint over that stuff, it probably won't let the paint bond correctly. IMHO.

I kind of figured that to be the case. Who knows . . . I may just leave the stove the way it is since my wife doesn't think there is any problem with the way it looks . . . guess I'm more of the finicky one.

I'm the same way with things. My wife will tell me it looks fine...but it'll bug me for some reason.

Stupid question #1: The $10 bill test worked great. Could not pull the $10 bill out of either the front door or side door. However, on the ash pan I could pull the bill out with some effort. Should the gasket be replaced? Is this to be expected after only one year of use?

If the bill comes out with some resistance you should be fine. Another check is to try to compress the gasket with your fingers. Is it still flexible? If so, it's fine. If it's hardened, replace it

Stupid question #2: The center oval top plate can be unbolted and left unbolted . . . correct? For some reason this just doesn't seem right since if it is left unbolted the $10 bill can still be pulled out in the same manner as the ash pan . . . in other words it will come out with some pulling force.

I would bolt it back in place. That's why the bolts are there.

Stupid question #3: I forget how the oval top plate sits on the stove. Is it flush with the nearby raised lip or is it slightly higher than the oval lip that surrounds it? I'm trying to figure out if I put the gasket back on correctly or not.

On our showroom model, the oval plate is raised 3/32 - 1/8 inch above the raised lip.
If you think it's sitting up too high,not tighten the bolts?

JMHO, HTH

DAKSY said:

If the bill comes out with some resistance you should be fine. Another check is to try to compress the gasket with your fingers. Is it still flexible? If so, it's fine. If it's hardened, replace it

I would bolt it back in place. That's why the bolts are there.

On our showroom model, the oval plate is raised 3/32 - 1/8 inch above the raised lip.
If you think it's sitting up too high,not tighten the bolts?

JMHO, HTH

Thanks Daksy . . . sounds like the ash pan gasket is OK then . . . ditto for the oval top plate (and me, being me I did take the time to bolt it back on since I don't particularly like the idea of things not being bolted down) . . . and from your description it sounds like the oval plate is in the right place, sitting correctly. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.