re-fitting/cementing joints of cast iron stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

david 09

Jan 1, 2009
NE Ohio
My 20plus yr. old Godin coal stove needed new fire brick and a new door. I have had 2 "technicians" work at installing the new brick and door. It has lost its former airtight characteristics. A smoke test revealed that smoke leaks from about every joint. The new firebrick placement shows gaps.
Is it worth trying to fix the stove? It's now hard to control the burn because shutting off the air doesn't preclude air infiltration through the joints.

david 09 said:
My 20plus yr. old Godin coal stove needed new fire brick and a new door. I have had 2 "technicians" work at installing the new brick and door. It has lost its former airtight characteristics. A smoke test revealed that smoke leaks from about every joint. The new firebrick placement shows gaps.
Is it worth trying to fix the stove? It's now hard to control the burn because shutting off the air doesn't preclude air infiltration through the joints.

Off the cuff...

The stove is definitely worth preserving, but unless you're capable of the needed repairs yourself or you can find someone locally more qualified than (your quotes) the "technicans" you've had work on it previously, you're likely going to have to contact someone who knows Godins 'intimately' and have them rebuild it for you.

Again, only 'a point off the top of my head'.

Peter B.

-----

I'm scrambling because the Godins aren't imported to the U.S. anymore and I don't know of anyone who knows a lot about them. Maybe I could make a project out of doing it myself but I've often preached that have something done right find someone who knows what they're doing.
Thanks for the "off the cuff"...

Status
Not open for further replies.