RE: Homework assignment is due

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Well . . . I sent someone home last night with a homework assignment . . . and I'm kind of curious how things went . . . would love a report . . . unless of course they burned down their home while attempting to follow my advice . . . in which case I will just kind of slink out of here as quietly as possible. ;)

So how about it . . . pass in those reports . . . and let us know what happened.

Er, um, er, uh, well you see... it's like this...the dog had the stove loaded up and cruizing along with the most miraculous secondaries I have ever seen...so, um there was, like, nothing I could do....really, I swear.

Can I have an extension?

Seriously though - I need to go through it again for comparison.
I managed to get a steaming piece in there last night, and even with cracking the door and the fact that there was a good bed of hot coals already it probably took me a good 30 min to get it up to 450 from probably about 250-300. It was definitely a raging inferno when I started to back down the air gradually - but the temp never when up any after that, in fact it settled back down at 400 and pretty much stayed there. It did have a good sustained secondary burn though.
So, I want to go though it again with a more carefully selected load and make my observations from there.

szmaine said:
Iit probably took me a good 30 min to get it up , and even with cracking the door and the fact that there was a good bed of hot coals already it probably took me a good 30 min to get it up to 450 from probably about 250-300. It was definitely a raging inferno when I started to back down the air gradually - but the temp never when up any after that, in fact it settled back down at 400 and pretty much stayed there. It did have a good sustained secondary burn though.
So, I want to go though it again with a more carefully selected load and make my observations from there.

Some of the sentences in this post really had my mind wandering and wondering what the assignment may have really been!

definiteLEE said:
szmaine said:
Iit probably took me a good 30 min to get it up , and even with cracking the door and the fact that there was a good bed of hot coals already it probably took me a good 30 min to get it up to 450 from probably about 250-300. It was definitely a raging inferno when I started to back down the air gradually - but the temp never when up any after that, in fact it settled back down at 400 and pretty much stayed there. It did have a good sustained secondary burn though.

Some of the sentences in this post really had my mind wandering and wondering what the assignment may have really been!

That is just so definiteLEE desparateLEE. :roll:

Hey teacher FFJake -Didn't burn down the house ---- I haven't yet tried your method - last night I pooped out before the stove was ready to reload-so I let it fizzle out -- I'm old and sometimes eyelids get heavy early -- like szmaine I want to go through it again--( and again --and again )- I even printed it off so I could follow it step by step Seems like you have a handle on it --something about stuffing it full of wood & unleashing the bowels of hell sort of scares me but I'll keep trying. Been kind of warm here -upper 40's - 50's and rainy but they say next week cold air coming. Anyway have been burning it throughout the daytime and not using the furnace at all.
Thanks again for all your help and I'll keep you posted.

PS -I've been to Bangor ME -- been to Harrison many times --beautiful state cleanest lakes I ever saw.
Buffygirl

definiteLEE said:
I confess Some of the sentences in this post may have really been edited and really had my mind wandering and wondering what the else I could be doing with the assignment of my time. I'm so deeply sorry to have troubled you!

Gosh, that's ok. Dont beat yourself up over it.

So, I went through eveything again last night and discovered a couple things.

#1 As suspected, even one piece of overly wet wood is going to increased how long it takes me to get up too crusing temps.

#2 :red: It is very difficult to get up to crusing temp when you have fan angled to blow over the top stove directly at your thermometer. :red: It suddenly burst into my brain that that is what I did to cool the stove off when I was doing my last breakin fire and the temp started to creep up further than it was supposed to. I imagine that that is why I'm getting good secondaries at these apparent low temperatures - the firebox is hot enough but I'm cooling off the surface and thus my thermometer. :red:

So, mystery solved - thermometer readings useless with the fan blowing on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.