Q&A Re: Installing gas logs in a fireplace already equipped with

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a fireplace in my family room that already has what someone called a "heat-o-later". It is a steel insert rather than firebrick. When I said I was looking for gas logs, I was told that they wouldn't work in my fireplace. Is this true? Or is this only true for unvented logs since they get hotter than vented ones?

I know you don't have this service to answer tons of questions and I will understand if you don't answer this one.

Answer:

First of all, I DO have this service to answer lots of questions, and yours is a very good one. No problem installing gas logs into a heatilator shell-type fireplace. No different than a regular one. For that matter, even regular pre-fab all-metal fireplaces can use gas logs.

You can use vented or vent-free models.

Status
Not open for further replies.