RE: Ipad, Kindle or other

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
My wife mentioned the idea of getting some sort of tablet.

This would be for home use only . . . using wi-fi . . . no need for 4G, 5G, Gee-Whiz or what have you.

Primary use I am assuming would be to access digital copies of The Reader's Digest and other magazines, maybe an occasional book. She might also use it to access some websites like Facebook.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: jakeyboy
my wife just picked up a nice little unit that was 1/2 price on Group On, I'll ask her what it was.

We both got the Nook HD+ (9" screen). Sharp screen, low price.

We like them for browing web, reading books, listening to music. Access to Google Play Store and all the apps. Doesn't have camera or gps. We paid about 120 before Chrismas.

Last edited:
Bought my wife an iPad last Christmas & we both like it ;)
From experience with that & convo's with friends I'd say if the main use is as an e-reader, but with good web surfing ability... then it's hard to go wrong with a Kindle.
If you already have an iPhone or macbook, like to use i-tunes, appstore... & want a familiar interface, lots of web surfing... an iPad is great (more spendy tho).

My mom got a Sony e-reader 3 years ago & it's not user friendly at all for her.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
My wife used a nook tablet for the last year and a half... got very tired of it. Small screen was a pain to read magazines on, very limited app selection and the few that where there where often paid versons of apps that are free on native Android. Also had lots of browser crashing and WiFi problems that a couple times required a trip to a B&N store to reset it.

Now she has an iPad Air and loves it.

I have all Android devices.. Currently on a Nexus 10. Up to recently I really liked it but the recent android system update (4.4 i think) introduced a bug where everything is slow as molasses when sync is enabled. So you either live with that or give up new email notifications. Also annoying is that Adobe dropped flash mobile support so and flash website is useless now. This is a problem on iPads too.

I would get her an iPad and load the free Kindle reader on it. It has great screen quality, camera and battery life. But... caveat, it really is set up for one account. So if you both have different accounts in Facebook, WordPlay, Twitter, etc. it can be a pain if you want to use the tablet version of these apps. If you both share one account, no problem.

I'd go with a Kindle Fire, they are hard to beat for the money. Be warned though, my fiance has a iPad and I've got a larger Android tablet, and we both hate reading magazines on our devices. The screens just aren't large enough in both of our opinions to simulate a full sized print magazine so you end up zooming in and scrolling around to read an article. A Kindle Fire will have an even smaller screen. Any of them are fine for internet surfing and fb and as an e-reader for books though.

I just ordered the kindle fire 8.9 HD, not the HDX. It was 244$. I wanted the larger screen and intend to use it for email and websurfing. It arrives on Saturday. I'm pretty excited to be able to surf the net from my couch.

I bought my wife a Nexus 10 for her birthday. Not the cheapest Android tablet around but neither one of us regret the purchase. I have used a Kindle (e-reader) for the past few years and have read a few hundred books on it and really like it. I am considering a "real" tablet, and if I get one it will be a Nexus.

Only used ipad but would highly recommend it. My wife and I have two mini's. Though the gap is closing on available apps, ipad is still king. It will become her primary computer in short time.

I just ordered the kindle fire 8.9 HD, not the HDX. It was 244$. I wanted the larger screen and intend to use it for email and websurfing. It arrives on Saturday. I'm pretty excited to be able to surf the net from my couch.
I got a 7" Gateway for $89 in a boxing day sale. I'm doing exactly that right now. It sucks for typing on but is good for browsing. I now put my desktop to sleep at suppertime - which helps with the light bill. Not important but a little side benny.

I have a year old Kindle HD, GF has a Lenovo idea pad, really like both.
In my opinion you can't beat the Kindle for the price. May not have the octo-super-flux-mega-processor but doesn't sound like you need one.

we have iPads, but we also run Macs and multiple Apple TV devices so everything jives nicely. I have friends with Kindle Fire, and my mom runs the nook, all decent for web surf and email/facebook/pinterest kinda stuff. I read books on my Ipod Touch and on the Ipad Mini and think they are fine...never tried in the outoors in the sun though.

Battery life and resistance to glare are what make the Kindle e-reader great. Mine has both wifi and 3G. I can download books where ever there is a cell signal. 3G connection is free on the e-reader.

IMHO, don't get the kindle 8.9HD, I have one, wife bought it for me for xmas, i got her the ipad, the ipad is sooooo much better and easier. The kindle is laggy, apps are limited and typing is slow and horrible. Spend a little more and get Samsung or apple.

Jake: I received an iPad for CHristmas in 2012. While I enjoy it, I do not LOVE it. All my family uses it (3 year old included). There's no micro USB port, no MicroSD slot for extra memory capabilities, everything has to be synced with iTunes (and iHate iTunes), etc etc.Typical mac stuff. They are pretty, have tons of apps and work well. As others have mentioned it's a one account machine so logging in/out becomes tiresome, etc etc. BUt it has worked great for us so far!!

However, I purchased the Asus MeMo HD 7 for my in-laws. They wanted a small tablet (similar in size to the iPad mini) and this machine is the best bang for your buck. Quadcore processor, 1 gig of ram, 8 hour battery life, MicroSD slot that can take 32 gigs, micro USB, etc etc. I read tons of online reviews about various tablets, comparisons, etc. It is an amazing little machine. And I paid $129 for it!! (it was on sale back in November). Currently you can get it for $140. So unless you believe in using the true powers of an iPad or another $300-$500 tablet, I would consider something along these lines.

Personally I don't enjoy spending $500 on something that can be dropped and broken (our was knocked off of the kitchen island by mistake..) and it smashed. It's our own fault, we didn't buy a $100 case to protect it from such (rare) occasions...

Andrew

One reason that I chose the Nexus is that being a Google branded product the Nexus units are guaranteed to get OS updates without going through an interim manufacturer. I have heard that it takes manufacturers a couple of months to update systems.

Last edited:
I dont know if we have bad luck or what, but even my wife's new iPad air is crashing every couple of days.

Ive never had a tablet, either android or apple, that didnt have random crashing issues.

No crashing on an iPad air for me (of which you DON'T need, Jake - you are using wifi). But mostly I use it for a little surfing and moderating on a web forum I belong to. No hard core reading.

(sent from my iMicrowave using tapioca talk).

<--- must get iMicrowave! My ipads dont seem to crash either. Wife complains about pinterest crashing occasionally....I say thats what happens when you looking at "lol kitties" all the time. they aint THAT funny....cept the ones making the cute faces....and the ones wearing costumes....

Reactions: firefighterjake
Status
Not open for further replies.