RE: Ipad . . . pros and cons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Wife has expressed interest in one of these . . . just starting to do the research and see what people who have used them think of them.

The iPad can not replace Kotex.

Seriously, I would wait a bit unless you are Macoholics. There are a lot of tablets coming on the market by Christmas.

I was helping my mom and sister decide kindle/ipad.
They were going to just read books, so the kindle made more sense.
My sister has an iphone and had the kindle app, but after several months of reading books on it she got tired of the scrolling and her eyes were bothering her.
We also went to an Apple store to get a handle on the size of the iPad.
the ipad screen is a bit glossy and hard to read outside and a bit large/ bulky.
They both bought kindles and registered them to the same account to share books.
I want an iPad for pics for use with my camera - not so much for reading books. Would be darned convenient not to bring a laptop on a cruise or vacation. Kinda hard to justify for several weeks of the year. I'd have to use it more, even the cheaper one.

My nephew has an iPad and uses it quite extensively, but notes immediately that it is not a replacement for a desktop or laptop.

We had one - and we sold it....
I didn't really like it that much, although it could be cool for someone who needs it. We have too many computers anyway!

At the minimum, you should wait since a new model with cameras is coming - that means you can do video calls on it (Facetime)......

The thing about ipads, iphones and ipod touches........is that, in general, they are for people who USE a lot of content as opposed to those who create content. Creating content means typing.........or even editing a photo. It's much slower to type on an ipad than on a laptop.....

My summary - the things are cool if you have uses for them - but wait for the camera model if an ipad. I ended up buying a new ipod touch recently after we sold the ipad. I do this mostly for fun, as I have been a big Apple stockholder, so want to research their products.......

The touch is pretty neat......like an iphone, but no phone and no monthly costs, etc.

Samsung products, Galaxy Tablet, running Android should be hitting soon. Supposed to be pretty darn good. A bit smaller than the Ipad - as Apples newer version of the Ipad is supposed to be smaller like the Galaxy Tablet.

When I saw the first iPhone, I just had to have it. I'd been saying for a few years that someone should come up with a digital photo display that was sharp and portable, something that I could carry around and show my various projects to prospective clients. What I really wanted was a device that was about 5x7", same size as a standard print. Well, the iPhone wasn't that big, but it sure had a sharp, clear display, and it did so much more, including being a phone. I loved it, but never really got around to using it for the intended purpose. Mostly had pics of the kids and grandkids, a few boats, etc. Seemed like what my wife would really like: MP3 player, digital photo display, personal organizer, calendar, alarm, web browser, e-mail manager, etc. But she had a work phone that was paid for, and the data plan was $30/mo. at the time.

The minute I saw the iPad I knew I was going to get it for my wife for her 50th birthday. It would do almost everything the iPhone did except make calls and take pictures. The display was huge, the picture quality breathtaking, bigger touch screen (and a bigger keyboard), eBook and Kindle ready. She'd been wanting a Kindle for a couple years now, and this seemed like the ultimate Kindle. Seemed the perfect way to say, "I love you" for her big BD. Then I went into the Apple store with her, just to get her drooling over it. The plan was to get her to want it bad and then shock her with it. Oops! She didn't like it. Too big, too heavy. Keyboard was hard to type on (she touch types at blinding speed), not easy to carry around. I was crushed, and I didn't have a backup plan.

I decided to get her the Kindle, but I had just gotten a new iPhone and I put the Kindle app on it and downloaded a couple books. She was impressed. Even though the screen was small, she didn't mind scrolling through the pages more frequently. I had to fight with her to get my phone back. So I got her one for her birthday and saved myself $300 over the iPad. She loves the thing. When they come out with the smaller iPad, I'm going to want one, but the way it is right now it's too big for my taste. I want something that will fit into a jacket pocket, with a camera, hopefully with a phone. In the meantime, we are both hooked on the little marvels that we have. Dazzling display, 5 MP camera, HD video, numerous apps, and best of all...

Angry Birds. %-P

I'm on one right now.I wouldn't trade it for my g5 but when I'm at work or away from my computer it's down right convenient.if you have an apple store near you you can always test drive one. Pete

I have an itouch and have played with the ipad... the ipad is just a itouch with a large screen.... not impressed at all... frankly i dont like the itouch all that much either... bit its the only small device with wifi that i could get, but thats changing rapidly.

I am buying one for my bride for her birthday. Not getting the great big capacity one...I think I recall its the 32. And I want G3 compatibility for when we may take it on a trip. My son has one and loves it. If you have made the switch to Apple already, it is a pretty easy decision. Her desire was a book reader but I helped her through the other things an iPad can do, why it would be better in the long run than a nook or a kindle, and how it will address some data entry needs I have in my business.

Someone suggested the Apple store. Do that if you have one close. It will also reinforce the high caliber of people Apple hires and the incredible post purchase follow up they do.

Angry birds is good on my new ipod touch.........

but better in HD on the ipad......

I'm one of those nuts who "made the switch" to apple in 1984, although I owned both PC's and Macs until 1986 since there was not enough software nor hard drives for Macs in the first two years.....hmm, only been all Apple for 24 years. Getting old now.....

Hey, Apple went over 300 a share today. It's closing in on Exxon....as the largest company in the country (world?).....

if you just read books/text, the kindle is AMAZING. I have the ipod touch and have played with the ipad. The ipad is very similiar to the itouch. I really do not like the itouch at all, but need something small with wifi capability, this fit the bill. I dont enjoy it much though, and wouldnt reccomend the ipad unless you have a specific need. If you want soemthing to read books/newspapers/magazines, the kindle is amazing! Highly reccomed that!

Webmaster said:
Hey, Apple went over 300 a share today. It's closing in on Exxon....as the largest company in the country (world?).....

"....he got me invested in some kind of fruit company, and now we don't have to worry about money no more. That's good... one less thing."

Congrats, Forrest. :lol:

Ya know, it would have taken some blind leap of faith for me to invest in Apple back in those days. My BIL worked for IBM at the time of my first computer purchase. He advised me against getting a Mac because of the unavailability of software. He said Apple screwed up big time by refusing to license their software and that's why IBM went with MS, even though it was an inferior OS and IBM computers weren't up to Mac standards hardware wise. Unfortunately, he said, the best desktop computer made was headed for oblivion within five years. He recommended a PC clone built around the incredible i486DX2 processor. That was in 1991.

After I got my PC I kept waiting for memory to drop in price so I could upgrade to the 8 MB max. The same BIL told me to forget about it - memory would be fixed at $40/MB forever. He also bragged about his incredible 500 MB hard drive that was at the "theoretical limit" of bulk storage in a PC. Then a few years later, he told me no one would ever need anything faster than the new Pentium CPU.

OK, the guy has a long history of being wrong, but I believe he did OK investing in MS and Intel back then. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.