RE: Mysterious portable phone issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
You guys have been pretty good at solving non-woodstove mysteries in the past, so here's a new one.

I have a Panasonic KX-TG5432 cordless phone system (base with a built in answering machine and two cordless phones.)

Recently one of the hand-held phones developed an issue where when I hit the talk button it chirps to acknowledge that I have pushed the button, but there is no dial tone. When I try using the other portable phone everything works fine when I hit the talk button. In addition, on the phone that is giving me issues, when I use the SpeakerPhone button, I have a dial tone. Originally I was thinking it could be a button issue . . . but since the phone still chirps when I depress the button, acknowledging that I have hit the talk button I am thinking it is not a button issue.

Suggestions?

Do you use a headset with this phone sometimes?

Never have used a headset.

I'd be interested if there is an answer to this problem as well, My wife has a Panasonic cordless phone, model # KZ-TC1486B, no answering machine. The phone works only with a headset. When you try to use the phone without a headset, you do not hear a chirp and it does not turn on. I wonder if the two problems are related? A wire disconnected to the ear piece? I wonder if it is worth opening up the handset? Any other thoughts?

this is a guess. not to educated of a guess. you know what i mean. my experience with pc boards tells me that you have a pc board issue. a crack or a cold solder joint that finally let go.

Sounds to me like the speaker in the earpiece is shot. My theory is that the chirping comes from a different source, as does the speakerphone. The handset works fine, except for the ear speaker. As mentioned above, it could be a cracked solder joint, it could be a bad switch, or it could be time to run down to Goodwill and trade it in for a newer model.

But seriously all you can probably do is crack it open and look for broken solder joints or wires. Maybe crack em both open so you can compare them side by side. Good hunting.

Last edited:
Jake,

Something tells me there's a circuit board gone bad. For $40, you can get a new system ;)

Andrew

The more I look into this the more I think you and/or Fbelec are right.

I'd be interested if there is an answer to this problem as well, My wife has a Panasonic cordless phone, model # KZ-TC1486B, no answering machine. The phone works only with a headset. When you try to use the phone without a headset, you do not hear a chirp and it does not turn on. I wonder if the two problems are related? A wire disconnected to the ear piece? I wonder if it is worth opening up the handset? Any other thoughts?
We have had this issue with several phones using a headset. The jack on the phone is cheap and does not stand up well to many plug in/unplug cycles. When you plug in the headset it opens the connection to the earpiece and phone mike and connect to the headset instead. What happens when it is worn is that the phone spkr and mike connection stick open. Then the phone only works with headsets. Our solution for this was to get a multi-phone wireless (AT&T) and leave one of the remote handsets with the headset always plugged in. That has worked great for the last 7 years.

Reactions: fbelec
Status
Not open for further replies.