RE: OTA TV antennas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes that’s the exact one I have by onn. I agree it’s built cheap and that’s why I keep it in the upstairs bedroom rather than put it outside. Even brand new there’s a lot of slop in the rotor. I agree you’re not gonna pick up tv 150 miles away unless the atmosphere is just right. I used to at my dad’s house, some nights I’d get pull stations from bay city or Wisconsin. But it seems the longer it’s advertised for the longer it will pick up stations just proportionately. Like this 40 mile amplified antenna I tried, I was lucky to get anything over 20 miles away.

I just wanted something to get me by until fiber optic internet comes and I can stream the local channels. This is working well for that.

the lower the frequency of the transmitter the farther it will go using the same power. the uhf stations that we pick up today is line of site so if you take that 40 mile antenna to a mountain it should pick up like is advertised. i remember when i was a kid living in arlington mass 7 miles from boston the set of rabbit ears on top of the tv on a good day i could pick up vhf stations into maine i think channel 8 and channel 6 in new bedford mass. thats a hike. channels 10 and 12 were from rhode island and could pick those up with rabbit ears easily. now it's nothing but a fight to pick up local channels