Re-paint Wood Stove Before First Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BlankBlankBlank

Minister of Fire
Oct 12, 2011
PA
I have a friend who bought a new cast iron wood stove. It comes painted matte black. There are some spots on the stove that were not painted properly from the factory, so he's going to repaint the whole stove to give a nice even finish. Since the stove is so heavy, he wants to do this outside before installing in the house.

Is there any issue you can see with painting over the factory finish that has not been cured on by a first burn? He asked me; I didn't think there was an issue, but I've not done this either. So, I thought I would put the question to the forum.

Thanks.

If you have a problem, I will always think that you shouldn't have. <>

I would go for it.

Reactions: Squisher
Most stoves are painted with stove-bright paint. I repaint stoves all the time with stove bright, never a problem.

Reactions: BlankBlankBlank
Try to find out what paint the manufacturer uses, some paints brands do not mix well together.

Try to find out what paint the manufacturer uses, some paints brands do not mix well together.

He has a Jotul F 602. I just found a post on Hearth.com where the OP used Rutland 1200 F paint over his Jotul. It worked. I'll send him that post.

My main concern was that the stove hadn't been burned so the original paint not cured. That's the only possible issue that I was thinking. He said he is going to use Rustoleum High Temp 1200 F paint, which I think should be fine.

Thanks for input.

Reactions: pen
If its a new new jotul, they are now using Stove Bright satin black as their factory color.