RE: Update . . . and question on stove value

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Hi folks. Thought I would give folks a quick update on my life . . . but before that . . . I am considering selling my beloved Jotul Oslo which I purchased in 2008. No issues. Black matte finish. Any idea of what would be a fair sales price?

---

And now the update.

As some of you probably know I was planning on retiring . . . and I did on May 27th after 26 years in the fire service as a public education officer. Retirement was nice and all, but it wasn't for me . . . so I went back to work the day after Memorial Day. My new job is also safety-centric and state-wide. Once up and running I will be traveling a lot more . . . but I also have home office hours which is pretty neat as I can roll out of bed and go to work. I am very slowly learning the ropes of the new job. Some days I feel like an idiot, but my bosses and co-workers are wicked supportive.

So that was one big change. Retiring and getting a new job.

Then on Thursday my wife and I put in an offer on a house up in The County . . . and it was accepted.. Ironically I am leaving from Unity where I have Amish neighbors to Smyrna . . . where I will have Amish neighbors (actually my neighbor's oldest daughter lives right down the road.) We're pretty excited as the house checked off nearly all of my wife and my wishes. ATV access road right off the road. Snowmobile trail on the property. Stream is on the property. I'm going from 2 acres to 32 acres. We'll be closer to a "city" (City here in Maine, elsewhere most folks would call it a big town) which is important for my wife and since we are getting older. House was built in the late 1800s, but has been renovated. "Unfortunately" the house comes with a Castille pellet burner and a whole-house geothermal heating system (apparently the former owners used very little heating oil and wood pellets last year) . . . bonus: we'll have whole home air conditioning. House also has a large barn for storage and best of all a separate office for me and my new job.

We put the offer in Thursday, sign the papers this Wednesday and on Friday our home in Unity goes on the market . . . it would be an understatement to say things are moving fast and are a bit crazy right now.

In any case thank you in advance for your opinion on pricing on the Oslo . . .

Nice!!! Congratz! New house sounds great! and how you northerners survive without AC is beyond me. lol

Last summer I was shopping the southern Maine area. Any F500 1300$ or less solid in a the two weeks I was there. Oil is way up since then and stove supply hasn’t changed. Listing for more than 1700$ Would just kinda make me feel like I’m price gouging. Into someone’s hands who I knew was in the market and would take good care of id sell it for 1000$ if they came prepared to load it themselves. 700$ is 700$ but it means different things to different people.

I can’t imagine trying to renovate a place today. Geothermal. Pellet stove (my parents burned a corn pellet mix for a couple years in their Castile. Then the price of corn went higher than pellets) 32 acres. I’d be lying if I said a wasn’t a bit envious.
Congrats.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Congratulations Jake. The new place sounds great. 32 acres is a lot to manage. Is it mostly forested?

A fair price for the Oslo would be around $1000. A move-it-quickly price would be $800. That said, given the current market and oil prices, it might go for $1200, or??

PS: Hope there will be pics once the move is over.

You can't sneak the stove into a corner of the new house? 32 acres must have something you can feed it!

Congrats on the new house!

Congratulations, FirefighterJake.

Would you be able to store the Oslo through your first winter in the new house and see whether you want to return to wood heat? You might find that the current system doesn’t please you the way wood did, and it would be a shame to have sold your stove and then have to buy a different one. We really missed wood heat our first few winters in Texas when we didn’t have it.

Are you saying a new wood stove is out of the question for the new house?

I think the earlier price quotes are right on target, and now is a good time to be selling a used wood stove.

I'm with the group that says keep it. If your going thru the trouble removing it, why not hold onto for a year and see. I don't think it's losing any value. Besides it's a Oslo, and where are you going to get another V1 or V2, well cared for one of them.

take the stove with you, worst case is sell it at a later date, best case, you install it for pennies on the new dollar we have.

take the stove with you, worst case is sell it at a later date, best case, you install it for pennies on the new dollar we have.
I take opposite approach. Don’t move if you don’t need it. If you decide later on you need a stove. Figure out what will work best for the current house.

Besides I’m not sold on full cast stoves anymore. Steel clad is cast really seems like a winner to me.