RE: What I did on Sunday . . . not wood related at all

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Trailered the sleds with my buddies Joe and Aaron (some of you met Aaron at the Woodstock Open House -- I conned him into coming by telling him about the free BBQ and beer) to Lincoln . . . hit the trail around 7:30 a.m.

Rode up to The Lookout for some scenic views of the countryside (this is above Millinocket/East Millinocket/Medway) and then rode into Shin Pond Village to gas up and have lunch.

Rode back . . . 204 miles.

The short, fat guy in the pictures who looks as though he is standing against some invisible bar is me . . . the guy who is looking like a Snow Ninja is my buddy Joe.

Attachments

• sled1.jpg
    sled1.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 288
  • sled2.jpg
    sled2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 295
  • sled3.jpg
    sled3.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 289
  • sled4.jpg
    sled4.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 311
  • sled5.jpg
    sled5.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 296
More pics . . . including my buddy Aaron who looks as though he just woke up . . . either that or is looking for the nearby bar to order a beer.

One pic that isn't all that spectacular was the snowbanks at Shin Pond . . . just to prove to folks that there is still some snow here in Maine. Dave and SnowLeopard didn't get to keep it all this Winter.

Attachments

• sled7.jpg
    sled7.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 298
  • sled8.jpg
    sled8.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 252
  • sled9.jpg
    sled9.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 274
No snow here, no riding, nada...nothing. (wiping tears from my eyes). $200+ for insurance, club fee, and registration and $250 for parts for the wife's sled so they can sit in the trailer, not to mention the fact that they have 1 year old gas in them. The snow shoes keep looking better all of the time. I am glad you got to go and have fun.

Great pics.
Don't put yourself down Jake...you look very nice in that photo..... :)
Aaron is working the camera.... :lol: He's got the lil head tilt thang going on...

I dig the electric blue snowmobile...very cool.

I have not been snowmobiling in years but I do find it to be very exciting.

What's that white stuff? On the ground? I've never understood the draw of snow mobiles, but, seeing those pictures, I'm starting to get an inkling. Thanks for sharing.

Jack . . . only two rides so far, but the financial pain isn't so bad as we only have to pay $36 or something like that for registration. No mandatory insurance, club membership, trail passes, etc. I think this is the first year that I didn't join a club.

Gamma . . . thanks -- as always, you are too kind. The blue sled is actually my friend Joe's boy's sled and it was set up for a 12 year old, not a much, much heavier 30 year old. I'm still hearing Aaron complain about the ride.

HollowHill . . . oh the draw . . . that's easy . . . getting outside in the winter, zipping along and feeling as if you're on a Star Wars speeder bike but most of all seeing places in the winter that most people never would get to see as some of these scenice places are way, way off the beaten path . . . and honestly . . . spending quality tiime with good friends.

firefighterjake said:
Trailered the sleds with my buddies Joe and Aaron (some of you met Aaron at the Woodstock Open House -- I conned him into coming by telling him about the free BBQ and beer) to Lincoln . . . hit the trail around 7:30 a.m.

Rode up to The Lookout for some scenic views of the countryside (this is above Millinocket/East Millinocket/Medway) and then rode into Shin Pond Village to gas up and have lunch.

The short, fat guy in the pictures who looks as though he is standing against some invisible bar is me . . . the guy who is looking like a Snow Ninja is my buddy Joe.

Looks like a great place for riding FFJ.

zap

zapny said:
firefighterjake said:

Looks like a great place for riding FFJ.

zap

It is . . . not a lot of people . . . spectacular views . . . flat trails . . . and fortunately the snowmobile clubs still have access to The Lookout which was shut down for several years by Roxanne Quimby (of Bert's Bees infamy . . . or fame . . . depending on how you view her.)

Jake that looks like some beautiful country to be riding in. Glad you finally got out and had a good time. I do remember Aaron and he too is a nice fellow. Tell him Dennis said Hello.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake that looks like some beautiful country to be riding in. Glad you finally got out and had a good time. I do remember Aaron and he too is a nice fellow. Tell him Dennis said Hello.

Will do.

flyingcow said:
Those pics don't do justice to that spot. It's a heck of a place, and a pretty easy ride.

Easy ride eh? Once you cross the river/stream the trail sure isn't quite as nice as the other trails around Bowlin . . . I think this is where I darn near killed my buddy Aaron who was riding on a sled set up for my other friend's junior high aged boy. But yeah . . . within spitting distance of Shin Pond and Millinocket . . . and pics cannot do justice to that spot . . . I'm just glad we're able to ride there again.

Status
Not open for further replies.