RE: Woodbox made out of woodscraps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
In the proud Hearth.com tradition of taking photos of one's home-built contraptions I figured I would show a few photos of the woodbox I cobbled together (I'm not a woodworker) out of scrap tongue-and-groove pine, plywood and 2 x 4s for the frame. Other than buying a piece of trim to "pur-ti-fy" the front and purchasing a plastic bin for the inside (for easier clean-up of the dirt, sawdust and wood scraps . . . and any moisture that might collect) everything I used was just kicking around in my all-too-messy garage.

First pic . . . shot of the woodbox and woodstove with all four cats lounging around enjoying the heat (note: my wife and I are still renovating the living room so this is why there's no trim on the window or floor yet)

Second shot . . . shot of the woodbox . . . and Lucky (the black cat) sprawled out in front of it

Third shot . . . side shot showing the hooks I screwed into the side to hold my extra pair of gloves, flashlight and small broom (originally I was thinking about drilling a hole into the poker/broom/shovel but opted instead to keep them hanging on the metal caddy

Fourth shot . . . shot of the inside . . . not too pretty since I was burning some knarly cherry and maple on this evening. Shot shows the plastic tub and a plywood sheet separation for my kindling.

Attachments

• woodboxcats1.jpg
    woodboxcats1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,871
  • woodbox1.jpg
    woodbox1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,814
  • woodbox2.jpg
    woodbox2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,575
  • woodbox4.jpg
    woodbox4.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,618
Looks great! nothing like a cheap project that turns out nicer than something you could have bought for a couple hundred bucks.

Nice job jake...when you load it full is it like 2 days worth?

That's a nice looking wood box, and some ugly looking wood!

savageactor7 said:
Nice job jake...when you load it full is it like 2 days worth?

The way I've been loading this it's more like a day plus a little bit more . . . not quite enough for two days. If I could have found a better fitting plastic bin or less knarly-fitting wood I might have been able to pack in 2 days worth.

ansehnlich1 said:
Me like Oslo in pic :)

Is that a piece of cedar there in the front of that box?

As a matter of fact it is . . . good eye. Extra piece from one of several standing dead cedars that I cut down . . . most of 'em have been converted into kindling . . . but a few of the rounds or knotty pieces I'm just using for quick fast fires or to get things going in good shape after the fire has died down to coals.

And yes . . . I agree . . . so far I'm also liking the Oslo a lot. I still need to finish off the hearth trim and a few other things in the living room though as I mentioned.

J-Man said:

Beauty is only skin . . . I mean bark . . . deep.

And whether the wood is straight and perfectly shaped or knarly and in an odd-ball size doesn't matter to me . . . it all burns the same . . . or at least relatively the same.

Adios Pantalones said:
Very nice! My wife keeps asking for something like that.

by the way- that wood just won't burn- it's too crooked, Flames won't stay on it.

Yeah, yeah . . . I know the drill . . . I suppose I should immediately take out every crooked piece in this case and send it to you for "proper disposal." ;) :)

I always like to place a dead cat in my pictures too. I think it adds a nice touch. Rick

Is the white cat real, or a stuffed toy cat?

fossil said:
I always like to place a dead cat in my pictures too. I think it adds a nice touch. Rick
:)
i was gunna say, Jake, you might want to install a CO detector it looks like all four of your cats have died ;-)

btw nice box, but its a little too boxy don't you think?

The black cat seems to think the beautiful wood box is really a stove. He's anticipating it getting up to temp anytime now. Rick

Dead cats as far as the eye can see. The international sign of a well heated house.

Very nice! You did a great job--can't tell you aren't a woodworker. I have to laugh at the cat on the leather sofa. Mine's like that--the floor in front of the stove's too hard, he prefers the leather ottoman that stays nice and warm.

firefighterjake said:
J-Man said:

Beauty is only skin . . . I mean bark . . . deep.

And whether the wood is straight and perfectly shaped or knarly and in an odd-ball size doesn't matter to me . . . it all burns the same . . . or at least relatively the same.

10-4

I think that white cat wants to get paid for any uses of its picture.

I am at the wrong site? I thought this was wood stuff, i seem to have crossed over to the dead cat channel? :ahhh:

Nice looking wood box. You say you're not a woodworker, but seems like you built a hell of a box. How many cats will it hold? :p

fossil said:

Yeah . . . even after taking several photos with the camera's flash Lucky (the black cat stretched out in dead cat fashion) didn't even stir . . . sometimes she does that and I end up poking her a few times to make sure she's still alive. :) ;)

johnsopi said:
Is the white cat real, or a stuffed toy cat?

They're all real . . . and all alive. :) ;)

The two white cats (Theodore Roosevelt in the foreground and Thumper nearest to the stove) have some Manx cat bred into them . . . which accounts for their bobbed tail (which you cannot see with either cat).

thebeatlesrgood said:
fossil said:
:)
i was gunna say, Jake, you might want to install a CO detector it looks like all four of your cats have died ;-)

btw nice box, but its a little too boxy don't you think?

As I said . . . I'm no carpenter . . . most of my wood working projects tend to look rather utilitarian vs. looking very pretty . . . heck I'm happy if I can build something and get it to be level. :) ;)

fossil said:
The black cat seems to think the beautiful wood box is really a stove. He's anticipating it getting up to temp anytime now. Rick

Actually the "he" is a "she" . . . but that's OK, everyone thinks the white cat is a "she" when he's a "he." I'm happy to say no one makes that mistake with me though . . . :) ;)

caber said:
Dead cats as far as the eye can see. The international sign of a well heated house.

Really . . . trust me . . . they're alive. I poked them a few times and they moved . . . or maybe it was the rigor mortis passing. :) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.