Real wood boiler beginner...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rearscreen

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2014
Vermont
Hello, I have been in the woodstove forum for a while as an owner of a Progress Hybrid, but recently I need to make a decision about a wood boiler. Oil, Gas, and the most recently suggestion...wood. So, I am not asking for an opinion of a good wood boiler, it's just that I don't even know where to begin to look. The house is in Vermont. Any opinions or information would be helpful. 3 types of heat in my house: 2,500 sf. Progress Hybrid (new install this year) Radiant Onyx in 2/3 of the first floor (new this year) and baseboard which was existing. Only 1/3 of the house will use the existing baseboard as the radiant will be taking over the other 2/3rds.
Any beginning advice will help me. Thanks in advance.

You can find a list of cord wood boilers and pellet boilers that are EPA qualified in this link:
http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/owhhlist.html
And in this link:
http://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Programs/Programs/Renewable-Heat-NY

If you install after Dec 31-2015 legally you will need to stick with a unit that is on one of these lists.

As you can see, there is much more choice for pellet boilers then there is for cord wood boilers.

For cord wood : Garn, Fröling, Econoburn, Drummer, and of course all the outdoor wood boiler crap qualified under EPA
For pellet boilers: Pellergy, Fröling, Windhager, Evoworld, Oköfen, Kedel, to name a few.
You can find tons of information here in the boiler room on these brands

With your radiant floor heating I recommend you incorporate some sort of thermal storage.
For a wood boiler: minimum 500 to 1000 gallons
For pellet boilers: 80 to 120 gallons

In VT you have a really nice rebate for pellet boilers; in total $4,500
$2,500 from SSREIP Modern Wood Pellet Heating (Renewable Energy Resource Center)
$2,000 from Efficiency Vermont Rebate

Status
Not open for further replies.