Really bad/annoying problem with my pellet stove. Please help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i think i have exhausted ALL options on this.

here is the new situation:

after speaking with Englander the other week and they said they would give me that other model I am just basically in a fight with them about how i shouldnt be the one to pick up and deliver my own damn stove.

they agree but they arent willing to budge on this whole "will not ship to house" thing.

Basically I turned around and said: #1 this is the SECOND DEFECTIVE stove that i have gotten. #2 i do not have the manpower, knowledge, equipment, or INSURANCE to be moving a bulky heavy awkwardly shaped stove in and out of my home! #3 if Englander as a company has to PAY someone else to pickup and deliver and maybe even install the stove then they should at this point to make things right! #4 I shouldnt have to run around and figure out who will do this but i will because they refuse to #5 im PISSED

So, now I am running into this problem: No one wants to touch their mess. No one that is a stove shop type of place sells or services Englander "because of their horrible reputation" and basically tells me that they wont do it and i am SOL.

Can anyone help me out here? I have no idea where to even begin. I have called 3 or 4 places all with the same answer.

On top of this it took TWO EFFING WEEKS for an answer that wasnt really an answer from englander. I was told they would call me back - no one did. I called last Friday and was told that the manager or whoever would call me back in 30 mins - no call. Called Monday 1/12 and was told he was on the other line. could hear the typing in what i assume is some kind of IM program (maybe they are smart and have jabber going!) and was told that i couldnt hold on and that he wanted me forwarded to his voicemail and would definitely call me back by 5pm when they close ... well 445 rolled around and no call so i called them. was told he was busy blah blah blah bunch of BS and then was told again he would call me back. so keep in mind this is TWO weeks now that have gone by. finally at ~545pm i get the phonecall. which is a review of #1-5 and that i have to do the footwork.

needless to say i am pissed and really unhappy about this whole ordeal ... 2 seasons of not having a pellet stove, wasting time money and energy, and still no results.

You are probably just out of luck, their warrantee is probably limited to product replacement, not installation and shipping. Maybe ask for a refund so you can buy a different brand? Highly unlikely that would happen. I personally would rent a truck, get some friends together and just get it done, right or wrong, put it behind you.

Good Luck man.
Mike -

well from the date of my last post until now is how long it took to get the stove in. I had to buy a new "appliance adapter" and a new tee because the original adapter was in the stove so tightly that it wouldnt come off and i ended up destroying it. no idea how it became that bad but whatever. they wouldnt sell one piece without the other ... so both new. all of the pie is the same.

its been 2 days. it was a pain to get started. i dont know if anyone else has experienced that? seems like the ignitor gets hot but the auger just ends up burying it? other than that and more importantly i suppose ... no clogs, no lazy flame, nothing wrong as far as i can see. pumps out WAY more heat and no cakes no choke out. none of the horrible stuff i was experiencing before.

so unless i am crazy or something goes awfully wrong it seems like i really wasnt crazy :-D right?

eyeaml337 said:
ong as far as i can see. pumps out WAY more heat and no cakes no choke out. none of the horrible stuff i was experiencing before.

so unless i am crazy or something goes awfully wrong it seems like i really wasnt crazy :-D right?

Hard to say, really. I mean you were so pissed all thru the whole ordeal and it makes me question how you would handle a real crisis.
Just how many folks do you know who got 2 brand new bad stoves in a row and then receives a third new replacement?
Seems you got treated pretty well indeed. Try doing that with a $25K automobile..
Anyway , I sure hope you are happy now and finally get to enjoy the stove.

Gio said:
eyeaml337 said:
ong as far as i can see. pumps out WAY more heat and no cakes no choke out. none of the horrible stuff i was experiencing before.

Hard to say, really. I mean you were so pissed all thru the whole ordeal and it makes me question how you would handle a real crisis.
Just how many folks do you know who got 2 brand new bad stoves in a row and then receives a third new replacement?
Seems you got treated pretty well indeed. Try doing that with a $25K automobile..

i was more patient than pissed. there is a huge difference in freaking out and going nutty and being pissed about being given TWO DEFECTIVE stoves. a sigh of relief when i was able to get the third one. if it were a 25k vehicle i would have been able to return the first lemon right away, then the second lemon right away and if the third one went bad then i would probably pick another vehicle make and model. which is what i would have done if it were a possibility - i would have just gotten a harman

eyeaml337 said:
Gio said:
eyeaml337 said:

i was more than pissed. there is a huge difference in freaking out and going nutty and being pissed about being given TWO DEFECTIVE stoves. a sigh of relief when i was able to get the third one. if it were a 25k vehicle i would have been able to return the first lemon right away, then the second lemon right away and if the third one went bad then i would probably pick another vehicle make and model. which is what i would have done if it were a possibility - i would have just gotten a harman

I'm glad it has worked out for you. If it were me and that happened i would have loaded that stove in my pickup and took it right to their place and crammed it up someone's butt, but thats just me. I think you were more than patient.

good luck!!!

eyeaml337 said:
well from the date of my last post until now is how long it took to get the stove in. I had to buy a new "appliance adapter" and a new tee because the original adapter was in the stove so tightly that it wouldnt come off and i ended up destroying it. no idea how it became that bad but whatever. they wouldnt sell one piece without the other ... so both new. all of the pie is the same.

its been 2 days. it was a pain to get started. i dont know if anyone else has experienced that? seems like the ignitor gets hot but the auger just ends up burying it? other than that and more importantly i suppose ... no clogs, no lazy flame, nothing wrong as far as i can see. pumps out WAY more heat and no cakes no choke out. none of the horrible stuff i was experiencing before.

I just pile up a small handful of pellets (enough to cover the ignitor) right over the hole, hit the on button & the pellets take off with very little delay, by the time they're burning, the auger has caught up & the flame fills in nicely.

eyeaml337 said:
ok i think i have exhausted ALL options on this.

here is the new situation:

after speaking with Englander the other week and they said they would give me that other model I am just basically in a fight with them about how i shouldnt be the one to pick up and deliver my own damn stove.

they agree but they arent willing to budge on this whole "will not ship to house" thing.

Basically I turned around and said: #1 this is the SECOND DEFECTIVE stove that i have gotten. #2 i do not have the manpower, knowledge, equipment, or INSURANCE to be moving a bulky heavy awkwardly shaped stove in and out of my home! #3 if Englander as a company has to PAY someone else to pickup and deliver and maybe even install the stove then they should at this point to make things right! #4 I shouldnt have to run around and figure out who will do this but i will because they refuse to #5 im PISSED

So, now I am running into this problem: No one wants to touch their mess. No one that is a stove shop type of place sells or services Englander "because of their horrible reputation" and basically tells me that they wont do it and i am SOL.

first off, most(not all) stove stores will not touch anything they did not sell, regardless of brand, in some cases even if its a brand they carry.

secondly,

if you read the stated warranty you should note , that the warranty states...
Procedure:
Purchaser must give notice of claim of defect within the warranty period and pay transportation
to and from a service center designated by the factory.
The dealer from which the unit was
purchased or the factory, at our option, will perform the warranty service.

ESW is paying the shipping from the location both ways, which according to the warranty they are not required to do. having shipped one replacement, as well as shipping on the first stove back, now shipping a second unit, and a second unit back. which is not a requirement of the warranty. heck , we likely have more money invested in this than you do.

eyeaml337 said:
Can anyone help me out here? I have no idea where to even begin. I have called 3 or 4 places all with the same answer.

On top of this it took TWO EFFING WEEKS for an answer that wasnt really an answer from englander. I was told they would call me back - no one did. I called last Friday and was told that the manager or whoever would call me back in 30 mins - no call. Called Monday 1/12 and was told he was on the other line. could hear the typing in what i assume is some kind of IM program (maybe they are smart and have jabber going!) and was told that i couldnt hold on and that he wanted me forwarded to his voicemail and would definitely call me back by 5pm when they close ... well 445 rolled around and no call so i called them. was told he was busy blah blah blah bunch of BS and then was told again he would call me back. so keep in mind this is TWO weeks now that have gone by. finally at ~545pm i get the phonecall. which is a review of #1-5 and that i have to do the footwork.

needless to say i am pissed and really unhappy about this whole ordeal ... 2 seasons of not having a pellet stove, wasting time money and energy, and still no results.

i'll take a look at this when i get in monday and see what is going on with it , i have not been involved in this up to this point to my knowledge but i'll se whats happening.

eyeaml337 said:
So good news: Lowe's has actually stepped up on this one. A manager there who remembers me and likes me decided to go above and beyond. He called Englander and i guess they are going to arrange shipment of a new stove the http://www.englanderstoves.com/55-shp22.html to Lowes and then that will be delivered to my house. Hopefully within a week or so.

In my opinion nobody went above and beyond. You finally received the services you bought and paid for on the first stove (assuming you paid for shipping and install on the first stove). It's not your fault the first two stoves did not function as promised and implied. You have the right to expect the performance advertised. You were more than patient. Good luck with the new stove.
Mike -

Status
Not open for further replies.