Rear Vent or will 45 work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chadh

Nov 14, 2021
Ohio
Back to the brain trust for some thoughts on how to run my stove pipe.

Had to use double wall since my ceiling clearance is only 9”. With the placement of the thimble due to deck/porch joists and the stove sitting in position, I’m about 4” off from centered. I have a thru the wall install so 2 90s with 15” between the thimble and I’m guessing 25+ feet of chimney pipe once I get high enough above the roof line.

Option one: Top vent- I’ve played with the one 90 degree joint I have and it looks like I could twist it around enough to add a 45 and make it work but not 100% sure until I have one in hand. Does this seem logical?

Option 2; rear vent. I’d just have to slide the stove out a few more inches and it would be a 2nd 90 right in.

Is an additional 90 going to make much difference over the zig zag angles with the top vent?

Any other advice or ideas? Thanks

3ADD8175-51B9-498A-B06E-FA739D5C6D61.jpeg

After more fiddling, I think a 45 will work so on hold for that. Not having any luck finding it locally

D5A674B6-EC21-4F0D-9FFB-FBAFAFB057A3.jpeg

The fewer 90º turns the better. Remember there already is one at the tee.

Reactions: chadh
That’s encouraging, thanks! Hoping this isn’t a huge wast of time and money! Definitely more of a science and learning curve than I had expected.

That’s encouraging, thanks! Hoping this isn’t a huge wast of time and money! Definitely more of a science and learning curve than I had expected.
A 90 degree takes the equivalent of 3' away from total chimney height. The way you did it, it's probably closer to only 1.5' you lost. I actually tried that once instead of my hard 90 angle and had too much draft so I went back to the right angle. Every setup is different, so hopefully that works well for you.

It working well on one system with a 90 does not have any relevance on the current situation. I can make a stove work with 4 90 deg elbows. As long as the chimney after that is 38 ft long or so.

Having a 90 without specifying the rest of the flue does not make it applicable to the situation of the OP.

My $0.02