rear vented free standing stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
Hey guys, I am thinking of changing my regency medium sized insert out and purchasing a free standing stove. I would think I need a rear venting stove so that I could vent to my existing flue in my fireplace. My dementions on my fireplace opening are 25 inches high and 36 inches wide. Also 18 inches deep. I was thinking of placing the stove in front of my fireplace opening. Any recommendations?I am trying to heat most my house which is about 2000 square ft. No insulation and drafty house. Any help would be appreciated. Oh yeah I have a six inch flex vent in my fireplace flue so I would like to reuse that.

Woodstock Progress Hybrid would work fine. HollowHill has one in a very drafty older and larger farmhouse and is happy with it. Her home is a challenge to heat, and Woodstock has worked with her on best burning for her situation. Sure she will chime in. Stove is rated to 2200 square feet easily.

A very user friendly, efficient, long burning stove that is highly adaptable to various temperatures and has the advantage of a good cooktop. Very handsome as well...you'd be proud to have it in your home. Very nice soft heat. Vents from your choice of rear or top. so rear venting is no problem. Extraordinary customer service. All sales are direct from manufacturer, come with a no-questions asked 6 month money back warranty, so that of for any reason the stove didn't suit you for your application you could return it for full refund. Runs on a six inch flue. If your pipe is good, you'd be good to go.

Do consider your hearth protection. What do you have in front of your fireplace? Often the hearth protection is not built to give the r value you need with many free standing stoves. Check that, and also any adaptions in size as well that you might have to make for a free standing stove install. If the hearth protection will be a deal breaker for you, then look at some of the stoves that only require ember protection...I think the Jotl fits in there. Also, be sure that any stove you consider will meet code requirements for distance from combustables, including distance from the mantle and closest combustable sides of your fireplace. Woodstock will advise about your install requirements for their stoves if you call them and shoot them an e-mail with your set up. They are very friendly and obliging on the phone...never mind any inquiries, always pleasant and helpful.

Good luck in your search. free standing stoves gives great heat, and catalytic stoves give you very clean burns and great flexibility. The PH is a hybrid stove with both catalytic and secondary burn technology, so is extraordinarily efficient and miserly in wood use, and does it all on its own...no input necessary by user beyond the few minutes at the beginning getting each load going and up to cat temp. Load size adjustment on this stove adjusts heat output quite nicely.
You are already a burner, so I am sure know all the caveats about good dry wood.

Can you seal up the draft leaks? This would allow you to heat with a smaller stove. Insulating would be that much better! If you buy a big stove, and weatherize later, then your stove is too big...

Status
Not open for further replies.