Reasonable price for used Jotul F600?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sealcove

Feeling the Heat
Apr 24, 2008
Maine
I have decided that I am going to not mess with my 2008 Jotul F600 and just sell as is. It is a blue/black enamel version that is in very good cosmetic condition. There is a hairline 2" crack in the enamel on the top plate (right behind the shell), that appears to just be on the surface. The baffle plates, blanket and all gaskets were replaces last winter. All that said, the stove does need some work as I have continued to have less control over burns in recent years. New gaskets helped, but I can see places inside and out (bottom) where stove cement has chipped off of seams over time. So a thorough resealing is needed at the very least. I had considered doing that, but decided to change stoves for various reasons.

I would rather disclose its needs, sell for a fair & appropriate price, and let the next owner take the time to service the stove. My gut was maybe list for $1200 and have some wiggle room between there and $1000. Too high? Too low? I know it is a sellers market, but my interest is in getting a reasonable price based on a normal selling environment. I see older F600's listed in this region for $2K+, but I am assuming they have been rebuilt.

Any thoughts on what is reasonable FMV for an F600 in this state? Thanks.

20211027_142926.jpg

When I was shopping in the Portland area this summer F500s we’re lasting two days at 1000$ and one’s at 1500 we’re not sold during the two weeks we were there. I’d have no trouble starting at 1500-1700 as long as I was pretty certain that the leaks would not lead to a run away burn. Just shorter hotter burns it still seems functional. If it’s to the point that you are worried about cracking the base I think your price is fair. And good for you about being honest. That color is really nice!

I drove all the way to Freeport to look at a Jotul that the guy left out in the rain after he posted the pics. Grrrr.. Just checking you already have it’s replacement lined up?

Evan

Reactions: Sealcove
Thanks, I was burning it last winter and had a few small burns this fall (that image is from a few weeks back). It does not run away, but certainly shorter & hotter burns which is not very efficient. I had entertained concerns that my ex-wife could have overfired it in the past, but she swears that never happened, and there is no evidence of damage from that kind of event. If I was going to use it for the winter, I would spend some time re-caulking the bottom and rear seems, as that is where I see the most lost of old cement that had been on those joints when new. I don't know if that will make it 100% tight again, but that is where I see much of the air getting in.

I already replaced the stove with a new Lopi Liberty. The F600 is covered in plastic and on a pallet in my garage until it finds a new home.

Reactions: EbS-P
I’d want the real estate in my garage back before anything.
You have the replacement in place already so that money is gone.
If I was in the market 1k would be my starting point. 900 would be the floor.
Any buyer can take it or leave it knowing it needs to be rebuilt.

I’d want the real estate in my garage back before anything.
You have the replacement in place already so that money is gone.
If I was in the market 1k would be my starting point. 900 would be the floor.
Any buyer can take it or leave it knowing it needs to be rebuilt.

Thanks and good points.

I assumed and maybe wrongly that you are on MDI. That bumped me my starting price up a bit.

I don't know $1000 sounds like a whole lot for an enameled stove that needs torn down and rebuilt. But if your market supports that go for it. If one of my customers was looking at it here I would tell them no more than $500.

I Paid $1,400 for a Blue/Black enamel Jotul F400 near Boston 2 years ago. It was in excellent shape, almost like new. I was happy to get that one vs a $1,000-1,200 more used one. I drove 5 hours each way (from NJ) to get it. Took it all apart to get it out of the house and into a CRV for the ride home.
53E13CC8-0081-4DD7-A5C7-D83466EAB9FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for all of these perspectives. Honestly, as this was an expensive stove in 2008 and is still likely to be a great stove again, I don't think I would bother selling for under $1000. If the value as is is below $1K I will hold and reseal myself and perhaps use in my boat shop.

It is good for me to hear this and adjust my plans.

Thanks for all of these perspectives. Honestly, as this was an expensive stove in 2008 and is still likely to be a great stove again, I don't think I would bother selling for under $1000. If the value as is is below $1K I will hold and reseal myself and perhaps use in my boat shop.

It it is resealed and the crack on the top is just superficial I would say $1200 to $1500. But tearing down and rebuilding an enamel stove risks damaging the enamel and it is just kind of a pain.

Reactions: Sealcove and EbS-P
It it is resealed and the crack on the top is just superficial I would say $1200 to $1500. But tearing down and rebuilding an enamel stove risks damaging the enamel and it is just kind of a pain.

Thanks, based on this input I am pretty sure I am going to keep it. I like the stove, so if I rebuild I will use in my shop and move the older and undersized for the space Lopi Answer than is in there. If I wait until next summer when the boat is out, I can take my time on the rebuild slowly.

Is the risk with rebuilding enamel that the joints wont come apart cleanly, or just that there is opportunity to bash into things with tools or while moving the parts around?

I vote boat shop.

Reactions: Bad LP
As you have a shop that can use a great stove one remembers that a few chips off the finish isn’t an eye sore in the living room.
Drank many a cold beer in a few friends garages and shops.

I think keeping it if it doesn’t sell isn’t the worst thing that could happen.

Thanks, based on this input I am pretty sure I am going to keep it. I like the stove, so if I rebuild I will use in my shop and move the older and undersized for the space Lopi Answer than is in there. If I wait until next summer when the boat is out, I can take my time on the rebuild slowly.

Is the risk with rebuilding enamel that the joints wont come apart cleanly, or just that there is opportunity to bash into things with tools or while moving the parts around?
Just a risk of damaging edges in every step of the process. When I do them every edge gets taped as soon as it's disassembled and cleaned. Only untaped when it's time to apply cement.

The values I am giving are for my market though. Yours could be very different.