Rebar to raise wood up for airflow - good idea, bad idea, pointless idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snarflemike

Oct 19, 2016
Pollock Pines, CA
I have a Lopi 1750i insert, and I just ran across some old rebar on the property. Would there be any benefit to just laying a few pieces down for wood to sit on, to get better airflow? I know it would make cleaning a bit more of a hassle, but beyond that, any opinions? I seem to remember seeing that some wood stoves explicitly tell you not to use a grate. What would be the reason for such a warning?

I have a Lopi 1750i insert, and I just ran across some old rebar on the property. Would there be any benefit to just laying a few pieces down for wood to sit on, to get better airflow? I know it would make cleaning a bit more of a hassle, but beyond that, any opinions? I seem to remember seeing that some wood stoves explicitly tell you not to use a grate. What would be the reason for such a warning?
What would you be hoping to gain by doing this?

I wouldn't do it, modern wood stoves have no problem efficiently consuming all the fuel in the firebox. You'll just waste some space in your firebox.
You should try and maintain a bit of an ash bed though in my experience.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I would see no benefit . . . as mentioned having a nice bed of ash helps the burn and preserves the coals better. Putting a grate like device seems to have no purpose other than to take up some space.

Are you typically loading the stove E/W or N/S? There would be no advantage if loading N/S, but a slight advantage if loading E/W and you want to get a little more air under some not ideally seasoned wood for an easier start. However, there is a better way. Just take or split down 2-3 1" thick sticks and use them instead. They will burn down into the coal bed in the first 30 minutes or so.

Reactions: Ludlow