Rebuilding the Resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

72Rover

Dec 29, 2011
East VA
Just finishing up rebuilding the Resolute. (A broken shoulder sure keeps movement of cast iron bits to a minimum.) In doing so, I found the casting date on the bottom plate: 11/13/80.

There are four drilled holes in the corners of the raised area of the back plate - the one with "Vermont Castings" in raised letters - not the fireback inside the stove. These look to be 3/16" and un-tapped, not the 1/4x20 found everywhere else. These might let air into the space between the back and the fireback, but I can't see how holes this small could admit much air, if that was indeed is their purpose. What other purpose could these serve? Was there an optional rear heat shield? I did buy the bottom heat shield - but never installed it. Even with the 'short legs' kit, it sits on a brick hearth.

Cheers

Right-ee-oh! They are 10-24 threaded holes for heat shield spacers. True the amount of air introduced is almost insignificant, still it's easy to put some screws in there so why not?

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Right-ee-oh! They are 10-24 threaded holes for heat shield spacers. True the amount of air introduced is almost insignificant, still it's easy to put some screws in there so why not?

10-4 on the 10-24.... I just couldn't see the threads after 37 years of use.... Thanks.

Rebuilding has been a chore. I bought a new two-piece fireback and had the right side baffle welded where it was the thinnest at the front. (The guy who did it was one of the few who still does/is familiar with the particulars of welding cast iron.) The toughest part was removing all the old hardware, which, after some 80 to 100 cords, had hardened into something that seemed like Grade 27 steel. Even with 'murrican-made, M-42 cobalt bits, it was one and done. Gotta buy me a Drill Doctor, 'cause I've got a big handful of once-used bits....

Cheers