Rebuilt VC Resolute Acclaim puff back

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mutti_wilson

Dec 11, 2018
La Center, WA
I recently tore a VC Resolute Acclaim completely down and rebuilt it with new fireback/damper/refractory/firebricks and misc odds and ends. I ground out the old cement and applied the new stuff liberally when refitting everything back together. I've had it puff back a couple times and smoke comes out from under the top on the sides and the front. Doesn't seem like it should be happening. Any input? I am going see if I can see a suction by using a vaporizer or incense. Not sure what else to try. Other than this little issue, it burns well and I can damp it right down so it can't be leaking much. If it is leaking should I just cement what I can from the inside?

Does it mostly backpuff during our recent mild weather? If so it could be a draft issue or just that the fire needs more air. Tonight is supposed to be cooler. See if that helps.

Does it mostly backpuff during our recent mild weather? If so it could be a draft issue or just that the fire needs more air. Tonight is supposed to be cooler. See if that helps.
It only happens when I have the air all the way down and it's a little windy outside. Low pressure weather is not ideal either. Seeing the smoke from the chimney spilling off the roof isn't the best for draft.

I ran smoke around the entire stove and only got a little bit of a leak at the door hinge. Barely moved the smoke so I'm not worried.

Burning it now and draft took off right away and it came up to temp in no time. 43e1e344d3dfc5ef2abef2ed0c7fe0aa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: