Recent work , Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHN BOY

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2012
Western Mountains ,NC
Here is one of the Maples i cut down over the weekend maybe 12-14 inches round ,part of a split tail will cut the other down in a few days . Thinking its a silver .? I no its maple , have a hard time telling them apart . :cool: 0928131446.jpg 0928131446a.jpg 0928131543.jpg

Reactions: HDRock
That's red maple, leaves on silver have much deeper cuts between the lobes. Red and sugar are much more difficult to tell apart by leaf alone.

Reactions: JOHN BOY
That's red maple, leaves on silver have much deeper cuts between the lobes. Red and sugar are much more difficult to tell apart by leaf alone.

Thanks Paul , so many different maple leaves . The red is still considered a soft maple though i think ? i beleive btu's are 20 ish.

Thanks Paul , so many different maple leaves . The red is still considered a soft maple though i think ? i beleive btu's are 20 ish.
Main ones I see are Red, Silver and Sugar but there seems to be several varieties in the yard trees. The main Maples get pretty easy to ID by the leaf after you see several of them. If you only have the bark to go on, it's harder.
I grab the soft Maple any time I can....not as much of it in the woods here as the Oaks.

Main ones I see are Red, Silver and Sugar but there seems to be several varieties in the yard trees. The main Maples get pretty easy to ID by the leaf after you see several of them. If you only have the bark to go on, it's harder.
I grab the soft Maple any time I can....not as much of it in the woods here as the Oaks.

I here ya the only reason i cut this one and will be cutting 3 more is because thats all i have is Oak and beech ready to go . I hate burning oak during shoulder season. These 4 maples and a few tulip poplars will be for next year to mix in with some hardwoods. I did get some cherry 3/4 cord for next year to.

Nothing wrong with any maple John. It's all seasons type wood. Hard maple burns like oak, maybe not quite as long but nice heat out of the larger pieces. Good score!

I like red maple, Burned a bunch of it last year and have more ready to go this year

Red Maple. Red Maple has lots of small teeth on the edges of the leaves, and typically three main lobes to each leaf (although the leaf in the photo has five - that happens with some Red Maples). Sugar Maple would have five lobes but much smoother edges because it has few or no small teeth on the leaf edges. Silver maple leaves have much deeper sinuses between the lobes. I think Red Maple is a reat all-around firewood.

Yes, red and silver are what are called soft maples. Red is also scalled swamp maple by some, but that name doesn't seem to come up much here.

Nice John. That size works out really great and makes some easy splitting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.