Recommendations for current open fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yeoman

Jan 11, 2021
Western MA
I moved into a house this year with a woodstove that I am learning to use properly and getting lots of good into from this forum. The woodstove is a VC Resolute III. This is connected to a chimney that sits between two rooms and there is an open fireplace on the other side for the other room. I had it all inspected and they said the masonry flue has some cracks and would need to be repaired by spraying cement in the flue before using the fireplace.

I started thinking about just putting in a fireplace insert with a SS liner instead of paying for the repairs. However, I recently learned about "fireplaces" like the RSF where you can get an efficient burn and still have the aesthetics of a normal fire. Actually if I didn't have the woodstove already it seems the https://icc-rsf.com/fireplace/rsf/focus-st/ would be perfect in that location, but I assume the woodstove is more efficient at heating the house so probably better to keep that there.

So I was just looking for opinions/info on these fireplaces vs using an insert and maybe some recommendations on brands and models. The house is about 1800 sqft.
I don't mind if the fireplace can't heat the whole house since I can have the woodstove going at the same time.

Last edited:
Also wondering what really are the differences between those fireplaces and an insert. What technology makes them burn differently?

Since you already have the open fireplace, an insert will cost significantly less. Obviously you would want to have any structural repairs made, but an insert and insulated liner would come in significantly cheaper than a zero clearance fireplace. In order to install one of those, you would be demoing the entire fireplace. Zero clearance fireplaces like the ones you reference from RSF (I have an Opel 3C) are an entire enclosure built in to the wall and have been designed to be close to combustible materials. So for your situation you would be looking at quite an expense to install one. As for the technology, the actual firebox technology does not differ from a wood stove to an insert to a zc fireplace (high efficiency like the RSF). The big difference comes in how the heat gets into the room and area. The biggest way for an insert to get heat out is a blower. My zc does not necessarily need to run the blower because the venting system creates natural airflow to bring the heat out. A wood stove will obviously heat much better than either option but a good zc does a nice job. I heat 2900 sq ft, however the reason we went this way was because it was new construction. It can be done to any home, but my install was close to 10 grand or more by the time it was all said and done.

I'm sure others will chime in with details that I've missed, there are many knowledgeable contributors here to help.

Thanks for your response, that helps. I just didn't understand those fireplaces until you cleared that up.
After rereading my inspection report, I was a bit wrong about the fireplace clay tile flue being cracked, It is actually the furnace flue that has vertical cracks and they recommended a new SS liner. They said not to use the fireplace because it requires the smoke chamber walls to be parged smooth, and you can also see the furnace flue from the fireplace smoke chamber.

This is why I started considering an insert though, because I figured if I have to spend money on repairs, why not skip those repairs and put in an insert instead to take care of the issues. It seems I may still need to install a liner for the furnace though.

I wonder if anyone else has had a duel sided chimney in center of two rooms and feel if its worth it to ever have both fires going at same time. I like the idea of a new insert since I can keep it going on one load for much longer than the old resolute wood stove, which is just about completely out every 5 hours with a full load. Still debating if that is worth it though or if I should just keep the open fireplace and repair it and eventually replace the wood stove with something more efficient.

I think a picture of your setup and maybe a layout of what you want to heat would help tremendously. The open fireplace will obviously rob from the output of the wood stove as they suck heat out of a home. I don't know what the newest 2020 EPA stoves and inserts are getting for burn times to be able to suggest one way or another.

Ok I made a simple drawing of the layout. If I do go with an insert it seems I am pretty limited on choice. So far the only one I havefound that would fit is the Lopi Answer mainly due to the shallow depth which is 17"

IMG_2781 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Check the Blaze King Princess or Blaze King Ashford inserts. The install depth is quite minimal. I just replaced my Lopi Freedom with one and couldn't be more pleased--I enjoy waking up with the fire still going.

Seems the depth would work for the princess but not the rear width. My rear width of fireplace is 24" and looks like the princess needs 25-3/4" there according to page 7 on link below.
The lopi answer just needs 23-5/8" rear width
The Pacific Energy Vista is close but says it needs 24-1/2" rear width.

Ashford: Minimum fireplace opening size is 29” x 22” x 19” (W x H x D) (https://www.blazeking.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/180-AF25-2020.pdf)
Princess: Minimum fireplace opening size is 25 3/4” W x 23 1/2” H x 12.5” D, (654 mm W, 597 mm H, 318 mm D) (https://www.blazeking.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/180-PI29.pdf)

I'll try and confirm how strict that measurement on the visa is, but so far only found that the answer would fit

I know those RSF fireplaces are beautiful! Each year at our trade shows and when burning in retail showrooms, they are spectacular and the fire is captivating.

Our dealer in Fairbanks has had the RSF burning everyday for many years. I also know they added cataltyic technology to some models, which increases the efficiency.

Tough call, but this group should be able to provide more guidance. You can always call the guys at RSF. I know them well and have found them to be straight shooters.

Is your fireplace opening square at the back? I ask because mine is only 22" wide at the back wall, but the side walls taper toward the rear. So the princess fit just fine since it only went back 12.5", its back corners didn't reach the narrow portion of the taper. I was lucky.

Lots of fireplaces have back walls that are different from the opening width at the front. The back corners of the princess are only 24-1/8", and the 25-3/4" is needed for mechanisms toward the front. It's worth double checking.

Last edited: