recommendations on a good insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
The buck model 91. Seems like it has a huge firebox, is tax credit eligible unlike the obsurn, about 1200 cheaper than the blaze king. But I haven't seen much on them. Should I be considering it?
The 91 requires an 8” liner. Will that work for you?

Reactions: begreen

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
More complicated than the blaze king how?
More air (L&R) controls instead of a thermostat regulating the air. The BK is pretty much set it and forget it. Based on the description it sounds like the Princess will suffice without having to run it wide open most of the time. And if it needs a little help you can add more insulation in the attic. By doing that the stove may run on low most of the time.

BKVP

Minister of Fire
So I don't see that anyone mentioned fuel and chimney. The dealer is correct that the turn down rate can result in lower surface temperatures. However, if you line up 6-10 stoves, set them all at the same kg/h burn rate (above 1.2+ kg/h because most secondary combustion stove have close to that as a minimum burn rate) surface temperatures may not very different at all.

What needs to be included in consideration is "what is low?" for any given stove.

Then m/c of fuel and chimney plan a big part. If you run two or more stoves on the exact same chimney, at the same burn rate, with same m/c & surface area of fuel, the temperature differences will be negligible.

Lastly, some stoves need more (or better insulated) chimneys in order to perform properly.

It's possible to run two (or more) completely different stoves on the same chimney and if one of those requires more draft than the other, it could translate to different temps as well. This is applicable across all burn rate but stands out in low or medium low if the two stoves feature different combustion technology.

BKVP

Minister of Fire
Proof is in the pudding....when in these forums folks have commented how much a difference a "proper" makes a difference.

The 91 is a proven performer. Buck makes some very nice 2020 units as do many other companies.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Eastern Long Island NY
The OP has 26' of insulated flex liner.

BKVP

Minister of Fire
Perfect install...

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but I find with my BK I don’t need the high surface temps to maintain house temps. When you’re not chasing large temp swings in the house you don’t need to dump a lot of btus in the house to warm it back up. Slow and steady wins in my house.

My non cat had virtually no turn down, it was up to 700 then down, a roller coaster ride. I assume there are some non cats that turn down better than my Lopi but I was done with the ups and downs. Started burning my BK in 2011 and can’t imagine any other stove in the house.(most happy stove owners say this about their brand).;lol

Reactions: stoveliker

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but I find with my BK I don’t need the high surface temps to maintain house temps. When you’re not chasing large temp swings in the house you don’t need to dump a lot of btus in the house to warm it back up. Slow and steady wins in my house.

My non cat had virtually no turn down, it was up to 700 then down, a roller coaster ride. I assume there are some non cats that turn down better than my Lopi but I was done with the ups and downs. Started burning my BK in 2011 and can’t imagine any other stove in the house.(most happy stove owners say this about their brand).;lol
That was the way with the Castine in our house. Part of the problem was that it was undersized. This totally changed after putting in the T6. No more temp swings. The mass of the castiron jacket acts like a big flywheel absorbing the heat peak and releasing it later on.