Recommendations on Manufacturer for Wood stove New construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jdoege

Nov 27, 2021
prairie grove, ar
Hello. I'm looking for some Manufacturer recommendations for a wood stove.
Details:`
New construction house (2500sqft - will have tight insulation). Stove will be centrally located in great room (~12,000cubic feet). It will be supplemental heat to central furnace BUT will be used a lot (4-7days a week from November-April).
Fuel- seasoned hardwood
Climate zone 7a
Chimney: 6inch stove pipe x 24ft
Goals: Would like a fairly large fire box(2-3cu.ft), and a blower to help move the heat.
Not too worried about emmissions and I'd like to avoid the need for replacing parts for 'upkeep', so I don't think we want/need a catalytic converter style.

Other: We are currently in a small drafty old farmhouse that has franklin cast iron stove we use as the primary heat source. We have 3 years of experience with it.

There are several small/private stove dealers in our area in addition to an Ace hardware (Pleasant hearth), Lowes/homedepot/tractor supply. For the smaller places I see they carry: Enzone, grandview, supreme novo, blaze king, lopi, pacific energy, jotul,....I've only looked into two of these smaller stores so far.

Budget is not strict but I think I'd like to stay under $2k. I could be convinced to spend more if needed

Any guidance on what brands to look at? This is our forever home and we have over a 100acres of woods from which to harvest firewood, so it will be used decades and decades most likely.

Last edited:
Sounds like the great room will also need a ceiling fan or two to move the air.

For an under $2000 stove two good choices are Drolet and Englander. For a 2 to 2.5 cu ft stove in the other brands the price will be higher that $2000 and for some higher than $3000.

I am so glad that you are updating that old stove for I checked it out and found this article about it and you might enjoy reading it for the knowledge that it might give you....The article does not recommend this stove...old mrs clancey

I am so glad that you are updating that old stove for I checked it out and found this article about it and you might enjoy reading it for the knowledge that it might give you....The article does not recommend this stove...old mrs clancey
Ha! I looked at the back of the one in our current house and it is a Montgomery Ward model....probably from the 1970's... as that is when the house was built.

Sounds like the great room will also need a ceiling fan or two to move the air.

For an under $2000 stove two good choices are Drolet and Englander. For a 2 to 2.5 cu ft stove in the other brands the price will be higher that $2000 and for some higher than $3000.
Okay let's take the price tag out of the equation. What would you recommend otherwise? (We will definitely have ceiling fans)

A tightly insulated home in Arkansas is not going to need a ton of heat in the winter. There are many good stoves, but one factor I have to consider is the flue height. It's tall. That means with easy breathing stoves like those from SBI (Osburn, Drolet, & Enerzone), Pacific Energy, and Regency, a key damper may be needed to keep draft in check. I say maybe, because the draft strength is directly related to the difference between the temp inside the house and outdoors. So if the stove is normally burning in 35-50º weather it may not be major issue. Look at the Enerzone 2.3, the PE Super (or Alderlea T5) and the Regency 2450.

A catalytic stove is good for the milder temp burning, so I would look at the Blaze Kings. They are thermostatically controlled and can run low and slow if needed, albeit with a blackened window. In non-cat, the Lopi Endeavor is good one to look at.

thanks for any help if anyone gave me any suggestions.
It would be best to start a new thread. Each home and stove requirement is different. Start a new thread that details the house particulars like sq ftg,, ceiling height, stove location, room size, how many stories, etc. Also, can you change your avatar location so that we have a better sense of the heating needs? US is far too general.

@jdoege
I would be interested in what you decided on and how it is serving you? And a few pics to enjoy :)