Recycling used pellet bags

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jslinger

Jan 1, 2013
Vermont
I know that this issue has been discussed. But it seems as though there is a lot of confusion as to how to recycle used pellet bags.
I know some people have access to transfer stations or recycling services that will accept the bags as recyclable. But there are plenty, (such as mine) that don't.
Our local Walmart will take them. As will many grocery stores. Although, I have been to a couple that take used grocery bags, but don't want pellet bags.
I think that is due to the fact that store employees assume the pellet bags are different, just because they are so heavy duty. So I imagine that if I were to leave them at my local store, the employee might just put them in the garbage.
I checked a website called earth911, to see where I can drop my used bags off. It will list the local transfer stations and stores in your area that will recycle #4 plastic bags. Sure enough, the local Walmart and Shaw's supermarket were both on the list. The Hannaford supermarket that said they didn't want them, wasn't on the list.
Any additional or opposing info from other members is certainly appreciated.

I fill'em with my crushed beer cans for recycling. Fortunately our primary heating is with the cord wood stove. Or I would have to drink a lot more beer.

Hmmm....

Is it strange that we use them in place of regular garbage bags for our kitchen trash?

Haven't bought trash bags in years.;)

we often use them as liners for our recycle bin, and just put the whole bag and contents out for the recycle pickup.

I fill'em with my crushed beer cans for recycling. Fortunately our primary heating is with the cord wood stove. Or I would have to drink a lot more beer.

Hmmm....
Do I foresee a 30NC for sale in the near future???:p

Reactions: BrotherBart
I use one with the top cut open and then roll the next 15 or so up and stuff them into the first one. Then put them in the trash. No recycling here. If you take them to WalMart, they just throw them in the trash there.

Up here we have curb side recycling where everything is mixed, hauled to a sorting plant, the on to their final destination. I noticed some brands are marked with the recycling logo and some aren't.

We can throw them in with the other trash bags in the big dumpster at our transfer station. I tried to get the guy who runs the place to let me recycle them with the other stuff, but the company that's contracted for material removal at that part of the station, doesn't want em. They won't let me use em for trash, tho...(WTF?) We HAFTA buy trash bags from the town or we can't use the station...

Last edited:
I have a stack of about 100 empty bags, and did not know what to do with them. I occasionally use them for garbage, but not enough to keep up with the supply of freshly emptied pellet bags.

I checked a website called earth911, to see where I can drop my used bags off. It will list the local transfer stations and stores in your area that will recycle #4 plastic bags.
Went there to see what is in my area for plastic bags, Nothing! The closest is on the other side of Long Island Sound!

Bill

My town's single source recycling asks that we do NOT include plastic bags. I sometime use them to tie up food waste, but it all goes into my regular rubbish bin.

I tried using them for Garbage bags..but they have little holes in them..so any fluids leak.
I finally gave up trying and recycling doesn't want them.
So I just throw them out in the trash.

Same here, i just throw them away. Not that I want to, but not much other choice. Tried recycling, but they won't take #4 products (i.e bags). Recycle centers and towns only take what they can sell (i.e. cardboard, glass, light metal, #1 and #2 plastic). I guess there is no market for #4. Can't make my polar fleece jacket out of it so nobody wants it. It's too bad. I like burning pellets for savings and environmental benefits. The bags going into landfills seems like a waste and a bit counterproductive, and they'll probably still be there 100 years from now.

I would recommend going to your local walmart or supermarket, and asking them. I imagine the list at earth911.com isn't perfect.
And if one walmart takes them along side used shopping bags, I would think they all do.

I just put the used plastic pellet bags in the recycling bin (aka blue box) and they take them with no issue. I like the idea of using the bags for garbage though. I think l'll give it a try.

I just put the used plastic pellet bags in the recycling bin (aka blue box) and they take them with no issue. I like the idea of using the bags for garbage though. I think l'll give it a try.

I sell a lot of stuff on Ebay…I turn them inside out and ship with them..

Reactions: MacP and boomhour
I stuff one bag up and then take it to Stop and Shop. They recycle plastic bags.

They are rather strong sacks, great for construction site cleanup.

They are rather strong sacks, great for construction site cleanup.
Reminds me of cleaning up sheet rock into garbage cans and bags years ago! A full can can weigh too much to lift. They would be perfect for sheet rock cleanup!
Too bad I do not have a construction company! Now I just need to start redoing all of my walls just to fill up all the empty bags I have!

Bill

Goes right into the recycle stream here. Sometimes I use them to hold other recycle material, and sometimes I just stuff one bag with the other bags.

We have far more recycle here than trash. Very little food waste as we compost all kinds of stuff, just finished capping off the compost bins. Some of it will be cooking all winter.

Reactions: Madcodger
FA LA LA LA LA FA LA LA LA tis the season.......

Attachments

• PRESTOLOGS.jpg
    PRESTOLOGS.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 217
Reactions: rayttt
Status
Not open for further replies.