Red elm....please help me identify

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Can anyone tell me what red elm looks like when the bark is off and it is dry? Does it have a brown dot on the face of the logs when you cut it? I have a guy here telling me what great woos is it to burn. Can any help this new wood burner on this issue? My understanding is that this wood us plentiful in western wiscosin.....how will it burn in my hearthstone heritage? Thanks!

Just get a firewood moisture meter sold @ Fleet ($50) , if it's around 15 % moisture should burn nice and long .(Happy Winter).

A very positive IDing of this tree/wood is the muscus like inner bark. Scrape the bark back to the wood, then soak it in water, if the inner bark creates a slimey snotty gel its Red Elm. Another name is Slippery Elm.
It has 2-3 white rings of sapwood just under the bark, where all the rest of the wood is a beautiful reddish color.
Also, it has the wavy band patterns in the wood endgrain. Chevron wave patterns (magnifying glass) is very heavy and dark when wet and dries to a medium grade wood (like cherry)
The trees are kind of neat because they have a medicinal history but the wood for burning is nothing special. Although it does dry well within a year.

All the bark is off the logs. The wood has cut three years ago and has been laying along a county road. I got at least a cord of it. It is stringy and very hard to split. There is a reddish color on the outside of the logs. The is a small brown dot on the inside face of the logs about the size of a quarter. What the heck is this stuff? I have access to cords of it for free.

White elm perhaps? Cut the logs and they are white inside?

If it is super stringy it is probably American Elm and not Red. Red usually splits ok.

It is btus and free, beats the snot out of silver maple and boxelder and other less btu chart items per volume. split to about 4" cross section and will be good to go in a year or less , being dead and down but still in log form it will need to dry for a while yet, if ya split to 3" and loose stack in the sun and wind + top cover might just get away with it this fall. I have 2 cord single stacked 4-6" splits from last Aug. it is good to go this fall. I also have about another cord in chunks from middle of last month that is elm of some type - it is drying rather quickly as compared to some other species acquired at apx same time.
It could be Siberian elm as not much of American elm survived the elm bug here in WI. Just like the current Ash problem- with a repeat of the same polices that didn't work back then either.

Good wood. Seems a bit more dense than Cherry. I would grab as much as I could. Split and stacked now, may be ready for next winter (probably not this coming one, unless it was standing dead with no bark when they cut it.)
resize.jpg 001.JPG 003.JPG 010.JPG 056.JPG Resize.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.