Red rings in wood grain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lloyd the redneck

Feeling the Heat
Dec 6, 2016
Western mn
All of the standing dead wood I have taken down on my property has red rings I have no idea what kind of tree it was but I would like to find out what it is! d508a94d0e2719f4d0982abc1e04cb0e.jpg82629d308edf5693f1dc09aa6cf8125f.jpg it seems to be a harder wood. Most around here is cottonwood. But these are not.

Red rings could be iron deposits from a nail that was once in the tree... or maybe from some sort of bug?

Hard to tell the type of wood from those pictures, maybe cherry? Do you have any pictures of the bark? Kinda looks like elm, but elm usually sucks to split, and those look clean.

It's in the grain as like 3 years or so. Kind of in the middle of the life of it. I think it's a disease but I have read somewhere it could be high stress. I have no bark , all standing dead. I have some other dead trees that my neighbor refers to as ironwood. And that stuff sucks. Broke my splitter with it. So I gave up on that stuff

No idea what the "ironwood" stuff is, all of the true (sink in water) ironwood trees I know of only grow in tropical/ warm climates...

It's probably worth your time to go after with a sharp maul though. Osage orange, locust and hickory are all fantastic for firewood. None of them are that hard to split though... if that ironwood turns out to be elm, leave it alone. Not worth the trouble.

Boxelder? it is known for the red stain (flame). i believe its caused by fungus infection

Looks like box elder, so so wood in the maple family.

I had an ash recently that had that same red, but it was near a very punky area about 10 feet up the trunk.

No idea what the "ironwood" stuff is, all of the true (sink in water) ironwood trees I know of only grow in tropical/ warm climates...

It's probably worth your time to go after with a sharp maul though. Osage orange, locust and hickory are all fantastic for firewood. None of them are that hard to split though... if that ironwood turns out to be elm, leave it alone. Not worth the trouble.

Ironwood or Eastern Hophornbeam, is the best firewood in my neck of the woods. Better than hickory, sugar maple or oak.
Smaller tree that grows in the under story of the forest.

http://www.oplin.org/tree/fact pages/hophornbeam_eastern/hophornbeam_eastern.html

Reactions: drz1050