Red wood score (I think)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
Just picked up a couple of loads of American Red Wood. Not sure if it is red wood but that is what the guy said it was who gave it to me. It splits with a hard stare a flick with the Fiscars - got about 2/3 cord split in a couple of hours. Easy score, easy splitting just need to stack it. I assume it is very low on the BTU scale but its the first time i have seen this wood here in Australia. Is it Red Wood? Looks and feels like a softwood.

CAM00446.jpg CAM00447.jpg CAM00448.jpg CAM00449.jpg

Reactions: Soundchasm
Not sure what it is but certainly is a soft wood.

Looks like Scotch pine to me.

It was a good haul - and the easiest wood i have ever split. Sometimes its not just about BTU's, ease of the scrounge (location) ease of splitting and size of rounds all add to to the "scroungability" of a score. This is going in my pile for 2017 so it will be very dry by then.

It was a good haul - and the easiest wood i have ever split. Sometimes its not just about BTU's, ease of the scrounge (location) ease of splitting and size of rounds all add to to the "scroungability" of a score. This is going in my pile for 2017 so it will be very dry by then.

Very true. Id never pass up an easy score just because it was a lower BTU wood

Status
Not open for further replies.